Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vncserver, ssh and X11 forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcella

Programmer
Jan 3, 2004
US
I am trying to use ssh2 port forwarding to make my vnc connection more secure, but am a bit of a novice in this area and need some help. I have a RH9 linux box running OpenSSH and a vncserver on display :0 and :1. I wish to remote connect to the linux box using the vncviewer on my winXP machine. I also use secureCRT for ssh sessions. What do I need to do to make this work? I already have compression and X11 forwarding setup on the sshd on the linux box.

thanks,
Kevin

Note which user you started the vncserver session for.
In SecureCRT, create a new session, for logging into your sshd server.
In port forwarding, call the name VNC,
Use local address port 5901 (for display :1),
add in destination IP address and destination port 5901 (for sshd server)
Save the configuration.
Log in to the server as you normally would with SecureCRT (using the new session), and tail -f /var/log/messages.

Open up VNCviewer ... set the VNCSERVER to be localhost:1, and connect.

You will see something like this in your /var/log/messages:

Jan 6 10:46:39 servah vshelld[9317]: fwd ,00005: Starting port forward to servah:5901.

Jan 6 10:46:47 servah vshelld[9317]: fwd ,00005: Starting port forward to servah:5901.

Oh yeah ... you have to stay logged in via SecureCRT to keep the port forwarding running ... or you could use Entunnel from VanDyke ... to keep it up and running w/o using SecureCRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back