Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
VNC is a free download. Virtual Network Computing. What this does is allows you remote access to all pc's running it. It comes with 2 main parts. Client and admin. I've installed this on all the pc's on my network and put it in the start up. If a user calls me up and says he has a problem, all I have to do is ask him his computer name, (Or IP address), I then use the vnc to remotely access his pc and fix the problem. It's like TS, but you don't create a new logon, you're seeing what the user sees. You can find it at
Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

VNC is a great free tool, but be carefull if you want to use it on a public network. A few hacking tools are available for VNC and, of course, patches.

If you plan on using a remote control software to access from the internet, use something like PC Anywhere. It has hacking tools too, and patches too, but it s supported, while VNC is not :)

PC Anywhere also has built-in encryption (recent versions anyway). Marc Creviere

What I do is use a VPN to connect to my network, then I authenticate through my domain, then I can use VNC. You can also use it without authenticating through the domain by making sure you lock the machine, (Assuming it's NT or 2000) before you log off the session. Thanks Glen A. Johnson

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent
and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84); English author.

We used VNC, I thought it was a cool tool. Until...

Our company purchased Dameware. There is no end to this tool, It has ultimate admin control. It goes much further than remote control, you can view or change settings such as registry, services, event viewer, and so on, without even remote controlling the PC or Server.

I know, why pay when VNC is free. But, since they paid for it I sure do like using it.

We too were using VNC for remote until finding Dameware. Had the 30 day trial on for 3 days before buying the dameware package. The latest upgrades cover NT, 2000 & XP

Chris.

Am using this application and it is quite easy to use and like it very much. Is there a way to lock down the password from the client side so that anyone at the remote site cannot change the password??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

beezee28

I don't know. I've always been careful not to give out the password. I know you can VNC into a pc and change the password remotely. If there is a way to lock it, I'd like to know myself. Thanks. Glen A. Johnson

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent
and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84); English author.

VNC is the greatest tiny lil awesome superb software creation EVER.

i use it from here to london acrosss vpn on priv network only.

Honestly if you think VNC is is good you will love dameware. It has a function on NT based clients to remote install the service, amongst other things!!

We used to use VNC but since Dameware I cant see any benifit VNC has over dameaware.

(Its even usable over modem speeds without a problem !!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back