Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC server for IRIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared71

MIS
Jul 2, 2001
US
Has anyone successfull installed VNC on SGI IRIX 6.5.x? I'd like to exparament with this, but do not know if I wanted to open this can of worms.

Also, does anyone know of any documentation on the net describing istallation procedures (I've already installed SGI's vncviewer freeware).

Thanks!!!

Jared

I've installed the VNC package from the SGI freeware site, but I'm having problems finding the server component of the package. The viewer seems to install and run well, but my reason for installing it was so that I can manage my (headless) SGI box from my workstation...

Let me know if you come up with any useful information.

I discovered that SGI only provides the client as freeware. You'd have to download the binaries yourself and install them to get the server to work.

Instead of installing VNC server from binary, I decided to install an X server on my (M$) workstation, which solved my remote control issue.

Doesn't it stink that IRIX doesn't proved anything like useradd to use from the command prompt like any other UNIX system?

Just my two cents.

Jared wrote:
> Doesn't it stink that IRIX doesn't proved
> anything like useradd to use from the
> command prompt like any other UNIX
> system?

They do. Look at addUserAccount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back