Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC - Hiding System Tray Icon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasithg

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2004
LK
I want to run VNC/ a VNC Server Variant such that the icon does not appear. I manage a set of Computers at a educational institute where if the icon is present it is possible for a student to change the VNC Server Password for the machine. In Win 98 It is even possible to kill the app. (This isnt a problem as I can remotely invoke/run any application from a console)
The problem is
To run the server such that the student does not know what monitoring takes place (in an examination environment) I dont think changing the Icon is something I'm that familair with so that is out.

I was looking for a prog to disable all system tray icons, but that didnt work well - programs that are there just collapse the icons and they can easily be revealed by anyone.

Thanks in advance
LasithG

I have accomplished this kind of setup using TightVNC. By removing the registry key in the run folder of the registry, the icon does not appear in the tray. I'm not sure about if this will work with the VNC Server software you're running, though.

One note is that in order for the TightVNC server to start, it must be installed as a service. This is an option during the setup of TightVNC. Again, I'm not sure if this is an option in the VNC Server software you're using. If not, you may want to test TightVNC.

Good luck and be sure to let me know if you need any more specific info...

Thanks Deeno.

Yes while I was searching around - I did manage to download TridiaVNC and get it running. And it works with the disabletrayicon reg key. I'm using this on Win98 so a few problems.

1. Even if I register it as a service, it is possible for anyone to kill the app by using CRTL+ALT+DEL
2. I can remotely run the app (by using a seperate SW called ID Shutdown Manager. (by giving the remote path)
But, once I start VNC the VNC settings Screen pops up, thus enabling anyone at the machine to change the password and other options
I'm trying to disable that. If that works I think Ive achieved what I wanted to.

LasithG

LasithG,

I apologize for not noticing the fact that you are also running Win98 on some of the systems in your scenario. This does bring up some problems as you pointed out.

First, I don’t think you can really register the software as a service under Win98. So, yes, you would have to have the software start somehow (startup folder, registry setting, remotely start it...). I don’t think this will work for you since executing the TightVNC program in one of those ways does put the icon in your system tray. The TightVNC window only is automatically displayed on startup if the default password has not been changed, but since the icon will appear in the tray this won’t work for you.

Under Windows 2000 or XP I know that what I suggested in the first post will work, and with TightVNC running as a service under one of these operating systems, when I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE I am not allowed to end the process.

Anyway, I hope you find the answer you’re looking for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back