Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC after WinXP startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatdogllhunt

Technical User
Sep 19, 2003
US
I have a wonderful VNC connection with my home computer (Windows XP pro)from my office (also Windows XP pro). The only problem occurs when the power goes off and the home system reboots. VNC is one of my startup items so I know it's running - but when I get home the login screen is waiting for me to put my password in. Another user told me that he always gets to his computer and that he can log in remotely (although he didn't say if it was XP or not). Does anyone know of either a VNC or Windows xp setting that will allow access during the windows log in?

Thanks,

John

Confused -- are you running the VNC host or the client on your home XP machine?

If you're running the host, you should set it to run as a service, and it will automatically start as soon as the computer boots.

Also, what flavor of VNC are you talking about?

You need to set up VNC as a service, not in your windows startup group. The startup group runs when you log in with the username and password.

I use tightvnc, it works with winvnc but a "little" more secure. freeware just the same. Download it here

just copy and paste into your browser. download it and run the install. during installation there will be 2 checkboxes for register tightvnc as a service and start tightvnc service. Check both of these and it will install the application as a system service, this will run whether or not you are logged into the machine.

If you have any questions just ask.

Joel

Well...thanks to both of you for the replys but I guess the problem doesn't lie with VNC. I have windows xp and it will not restart after a power failure even though I have set that option in the bios. I think I also set it in the system options. If anyone has heard of this problem please let me know. Again, thanks for your responses.

thatdogllhunt -- you may want to post your restart after power failure problem in the hardware forum forum602 . Be sure to include the brand and model of the mobo (for starters).

FubaccaJoe -- there are a lot of reasons to use TightVNC instead of plain or RealVNC, but security is not one of them. Tight does allow for a connection over SSH, but unless you configure and use SSH you don't gain any security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back