Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vmware Virtual Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel4k

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2002
GB
I am very new to VMWare so be patient with me. I am currently trying to create a 2 node cluster. What I would like to know is if it is possible to create virtual scsi drives that appear as extenal storage which I need in order to create the cluster. I am currently using Vmware workstation and couldn't find an option for this. Is it possible in this version or do I have to user the server based version of the software. If it is possible can someone explain how to do this or porvide me with some decent links on how to go about doing it. Like I said I'm a complete novice so please bear with me. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

For a VMWare cluster, there has to be shared storage. Do you have a SAN, iSCSI or a NAS device to create shared storage? You cannot point one VMWare server to look at another VMWare "local" storage and vice versa.

That is correct TechyMcSe2k. I am trying to create a Vmware cluster between 2 Vmware machines running WK2003. However I do not have any external SAN, iSCSI or a NAS device to create as the shared storage device. I was wondering if the shared storage device has to be a physical device or if the storage device can be virtual and if so how to create it and link it to both nodes of the cluster. Hope this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back