Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMWARE - Telnet access problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelson2003

Technical User
Feb 27, 2004
US
Newbie question

I am trying to access via telnet my VMWARE server

I am recieving the following error msg

U:\>TELNET 207.169.18.47
Connecting To 207.169.18.47...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

Where I could permit to access my server via port 23.

Thanks
Nelson Gomes

Until now everything is working fine, I am going to try to install an exchange server next week.

Hi Pelson2003

We use PUTTY.exe for accessing our ESX servers, it uses port 22 and selct ssh - This was recomended at the training course and is freely available. There are better apps around which give you more flexability, but they come at a cost.
I saw one of your earlier question about VMOTION - Yes it works extremely well in the right setup. We have blade servers connected to a SAN and can move servers from one blade to another without having to power off a server. Great for maintenance and stuff, no comming in on the weekend.

Regards

Dave

port 23 is for ssh not telnet. use ssh with PuTTY, as spi200 posted you.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Putty is excellent.. anyone has a ftp program as good and smallas putty

thanks
neson

..i'm confused is'nt 23 telnet 21 ftp etc etc;
....i guess the problem has since been resolved..

CCNP,CCSP,MCSE,Sec+,Net+,A+...

try psftp (download it from the same page as putty)

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Port 22 is SSH and port 23 is telnet. In the ESX server options, you can select secure access which disables HTTP and Telnet and only allows SSH and HTTPS access. On the putty download page you can also find pscp which can be used easily to copy files from you PC to the ESX server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back