Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMWare Server Bridged Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonetown

MIS
Sep 22, 2001
GB
Hi,

I want to use 2 hosts running W2K3 server and VMWare server, host1 has 2 NIC's, host2 has one NIC, both hosts will be connected via a physical switch. I want to run 2 virtual switches on host1 both bridged to the 2 NIC's with VM's connected to each virtual switch and communicating to the physical network through the bridged virtual switches. The same for host2 only with one virtual switch and bridge.

My question is - do the physical NIC's need to be in the same subnet as the virtual machines, or can the NIC's have different IP addresses to the virtual machines, does VMWare allow the virtual machines to be presented on the physical network regardless of the hosts physical IP addressing. VM's will have static addresses.

Thanks,

Tim.

Tim,
To be clear, you want the guest os's to connect to each other across the physical switch, using different IP's/subnets than the host nics?

Paintballer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back