Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMWare Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briandr

MIS
Jul 11, 2003
US
I am trying to load Ubuntu on my XP workstation which is running VMWare workstation. I downloaded the ISO. A great feature is that VMWare can load the ISO directly, or so I thought. I chose to install Ubuntu in its own virtual partition. So why does the ISO file need to be referenced in VMWare? At this point it should not be needed to be referenced because I installed Linux in its own virtual partition. So what's the deal here. Can someone explain because this makes no sense.

and when you remove the ISO from the virtual CD, what happens?

If the Virtual Machine you created depends on the Ubuntu CD to boot and operate, then the problem is in the way you installed the OS, not with VMWare.

You might have downloaded a demo CD that allows you to try it out, but not actually install anything. Not sure if Ubuntu does this, but I remember something like that for Fedora. Download ISO, boot from CD, try out the OS with out going through the process of actually installing it (pretty much a driver compatibility test), and see if you like it, if you do, download the actual installer and install it.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

When I removed the ISO from the virtual CD in VMWare Ubuntu would not load. I am not sure if this was a demo CD, but I do know when VMWare loaded the ISO I did choose the option to install Ubuntu O.S., not run Ubuntu from the CD (aka ISO). So if I did install from the ISO which we know is the CD then why would it still need to reference it? Just a little confused. I do like the concept of VMWare.

By the way GNOME is ugly. I rather try KDE. Has more polished look.

From my experience, Ubuntu runs as a Live CD, and you need to install from within Ubuntu when its running - could that be the issue?

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Agreed, you're probably running a livecd environment. I loaded Hardy Heron (8.04) and the previous one (7.10) without issue on a VM but you have to tell it to actually install rather than just boot the live CD.

You will also want to check the instructions for loading the VM Tools as it's not as straight forward as it is for XP.

Should be a start for you.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back