Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMware Price 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng3alaa2299

Technical User
Oct 30, 2008
SA
Dear All
any one know the price for the following VM products:
1- ESXi
2- Vitual Center
3- Vinfrastructure Enterprse.
as i need to make a budget and i've request the price from many of VMware partner and until now i didn't get any answer.

Regards
Alaa

You can get that info on vmware's website.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Thanks because i'm new to VMW that why i don't know.

appriciated

If you buy from a third party reseller, like Dell or HP, it may be different than what the list price. Second, you almost have to plan out your virtual environment before, or as, you think about what you're doing. Since the license price is based on a CPU socket you would need to know how many CPU's you intend to use, whether you need HA/DRS and/or Virtual Center Server and whether you need more than one year support. How are you going to back all your VM's up? What other software are you going to require for your specific business needs? It isn't just buying a SAN, two servers and the software then slapping it all together.

Calling a sales rep can help you better plan for your deployment and give you, usually, better discounts. We purchased ours with our servers a little over 2 years ago and Dell saved us a bunch of money plus threw in training credits for two of us in our IT department to get VPC certs.

If you are just looking to put together a high level budget, than you can use this guide from VMWare but remember those are based on single CPU 9 (up to 6 cores) and one year of support.

Here is a link to the VCenter Server cost. again based on the support you need.

I would recommend getting at least 2 or 3 years support on everything, even two years out I have to call them maybe once a month and have had the occasional serious problem.

I'd recommend calling Dell, get a small-medium business sales guy and work with them. Also, a secret for buying with Dell (and probably other vendors) is to wait until the end of the quarter or even better end of the year. They have some great deals!

Last but not least, check to see if you have a local VMWare User Group in your area, they're all over the world. They'd be a HUGE resource for vendors, pricing and help for deployment.

I only suggest Dell because that's who we used and we've been pretty happy with the price and support we've been given. Choose whomever you want, but you'll probably get better deals from the larger companies like Dell or HP.

Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

It maintenance that's is the serious cost in vmware. The initial purchase price is pretty trivial.

You can usually purchase a variety of starting packs that contain everything for a small environment for a very reasonable cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back