Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vmware on desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterve

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2000
NL
Hi,

I'd like to run vmware esx 3.x on a desktop (Dell or HP)
(I don't really care about performance, two dual core processors and 4Gb ram will do just fine)
Does anyone have any experience with this ? If so, what kind of desktop/workstation should I buy ?

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

At the basic level the only difference between a desktop and server is the form factor. As long as you get the necessary hardware, memory, CPU, etc. for form factor is not a factor.

I ended up buying a Dell PE 840 with 4Gb ram and a quad core xeon processor, internal 15Krpm sas disk of 146 and 5 Gigabit NIC's, connected to a Openfiler SAN
Works great - no issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back