Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMWare / Hyper-v

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimR

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2007
ZA
We are in the process of upgrading our telephone system which is now going to be running in a VM machine specifically VMWARE, dont know why it can't run in Hyper-v . So questions are as follows.

Can vmware and hyper-v run on the same machine?
What vmware do I purchase workstation/ESX/ESXi etc the list is long

and will need to be able to backup and deploy to another VM if need be.

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

If you are looking to run VMWare as a real hypervisor you'll use ESX or ESXi. Workstation and server are applications that run on an existing operation system.

I don't think you can run ESX/ESXi and hyper-v on the same machine. I can't think of a reason you would want to do that actually.

No you can't run ESX and Hyper-V on the same machine. Both are bare mettle hypervisors and have to be installed on the physical hardware.

Technically you can install ESX on the hardware, then install Hyper-V as a VM on the server, but there would be no good reason to do this in a production environment.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

I have a 64 bit SQL box with a single quad processor and 8GB RAM and a Exchange 2007 2 x quad core 8GB RAM with BES running. Can I load it on either of those and which one would be best, or buy a separate 64bit machine load Windows 2008 R2 and load ESXi and use this specifically for the Telephone system.
Only thing is how would I add redundancy to this.

The only way to setup redundancy would be...

1. Use the features of the phone switch software and setup 2 VMs on two different physical servers.
2. Use shared storage and get to physical servers. The physical servers are then setup in a cluster so that if the physical server fails the hypervisor management software moves the VM to the other physical server.

Either of those should be fine. Do keep in mind that if the physical server's CPUs run to 100% then the phone system won't work very well.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Is this for a cisco call manager? If it is speak to Cisco they have lots of white papers on virtualising CUCM.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

GrimR, how have you made out with this? I see from your posts that there may be a misunderstanding of what virtualization is, ESX is specific. ESX is not a piece of software it is an operating system. You wouldnt install Windows 2003 server on a Windows 2003 server. You would install Office on a Windows 2003 server, for example, because Office is software; ESX is not software. Hyper-v is Microsoft's hypervisor and the version of windows you see on a Hyper-V server is actualy what is refered to as the "Parent Partition" on which you typically would not install any software; but rather use a utility to create virtual machines.

Arisap, still have not made a clear decisions on what to do. That is, we need to purchase a new machine for our AD server but from the posts above it seems a further machine would need to be purchased for the telephony system, or we could look into a hosted IP/ PBX solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back