Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMware & ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekkgeek

Technical User
Mar 31, 2005
US
I am trying to ghost a partition to a VMware virtual machine. The problem is, I don't have the VMware NDIS2 driver to copy to the boot disk (floppy). Has anyone successfully ghosted a guest OS?

Thanks

I too would like to know. Did you ever find an answer for this?

Thanks

What is the guest OS you are trying to ghost? I have ghosted Windows 2000 server serveral times with no issues using a Ghostcast server.

That's what I tried - ghostcast from another box to the vmware, and ghostcast from the host - still no dice - I get hung up on the driver. You can't use the driver for your card because it emmulates a virtual card, right? Where/how do you get the virtual driver to put in your floppy/iso?

Thanks!

Do you have to ghost cast? The easiest method I've seen is to attach the blank .dsk (vmdk) file you want to use to a temporary VM running Windows from a different .dsk (vmdk), then use Ghost32.exe within that guest OS to put the image on the blank .dsk (vmdk), then power it off, detach the .dsk (vmdk), and attach it to the new VM you want to run that image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back