Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMware/ESXi 6- VM Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel233

MIS
Feb 24, 2007
US
I created a Win Server 2008R2 and when it boots it gets stuck on Applying computer settings. This can take 2-5 minutes. I am using E1000 network adapter. I changed the adapter to VMXNET2 and it boots really fast but no network. I have VMware tools installed.
Not sure what to do. Not sure what VMXNET2 (Enhaned) and VMXNET3 do then.

VMXNet2 is only supported by a few operating systems, 2008 R2 is not one of them. Essentially the difference between E1000 and VMXNet3 is that the E1000 is gigabit and the VMXNet3 can do 10 gig networks. There is a VMWare KB on them. So one of my questions would be on the VM itself. Was this VM a P2V? Are there any mapped drives? How about any printers? How about domain issues? All of these could cause issues (since it sounds like a network issue) so I would start there. If you created the machine via P2V I would go through and find hidden devices in your device manager and remove them. There are "how to's," just Google it.

Here is the VMWare KB:
Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Thanks for explaining this. This was not a P2V. I will Vmxnet3 and see if that works. I believe this is an issue with the NIC E1000 because when I changed it too the vmxnet2 the machine didn't get stuck on applying computer settings. There are no mapped drives or printers. I don't think there are any domain issues. The only thing I saw in the log was the gpo was taking too long. When I looked that up people pointed to the NIC as the issue. Like I said will try the VMXNet3 tonight. Again, thanks for the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back