Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMware backup/restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd77

Technical User
May 17, 2007
GB
Hello All,

We have Legato networker 7.1.3 (backup server) running on Solaris 8.0 . Will the networker 7.1.3 able to do backup /restore of the a VMWare's virtual machines directly..? .
Can any one please let me know what is the procedure for backing up vmware's servers...

Thanks in Advance,
Deepak....

Hi Deepak

Well first of all you should be sure about the backup method first, VCB or native client backup.

The best way in my opinion is to use a so-called VCB Proxy
that is a Networker Storage Node at the same time.
This machine mounts the virtual machines for backup (in easy words).

If you intend to use VCB (VMware Consolidated Backup)
I suggest that you use a higher version of EMC² Networker
such as 7.4.2 with a better integration of VCB functions.

cheers

If you want to use VCB (VMWare Consolidated Backup) you should at least update your Networker to 7.2.1 that should be covered with your license.
If You are elegible for an Networker 7.3 update enabler I woul advise you to upgrade to 7.4 SP3 which improves backup of virtual machines very well.
In addition you need a "Storage Node Windows" license and a so called "Backup Proxy" running Windows 2003 Server.
( limited 2008 Support was added in 7.4 SP3 ).
Dont use a newer Storage node eg 7.4.x with an older Networker Server e.g. 7.1.x or 7.2.x !

Thanks a lots for the information guys...It helped me alot...

Kind regards,
Deepak..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back