Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMS always busy........Since group ring hang!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHicksted

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
PA
I have a system regarding a failure of the VMS services. THe system consists of an ACS release 5.0 module, three 206 modules, and a Partner Mail VS release 5 (4 port) VMS (The VMS is plugged in slot 5). The system was last programmed in April and has been working fine. Recently, when calling a programmed group (Extensions 10-17)from an internal extension all the group phones rang but none could answer the call (The user pressed the programmed group button followed by 11 for some strange reason). The only way to cancle the ringing was to power down/up the system. This stopped the ringing but now the VMS system is not functional. Checking the equipment the LED on the VMS module is blinking red. Subsequent power cycles produce the same results. The hunt group programing was checked as seems OK (Extensions (38-41). I tried a manual restore of the last saved setup with the same results. I unplugged the ACS module and the VMS module seems to power up ok showing a blinking green LED after a few seconds with the message Checkdsk Result = 0 & Startup = 11111 on the RS232 port. No other messages are displayed but after 10 min the LED is solid green.

I'm trying to determine if there is a failure in the ACS or VSM modules. Any input would be appreciated. Also I'm not sure if I have the RS232 port connected correctly. I see messages displayed but there is no response to keystrokes. Is there a pin definition of the connector availiable?

Hi RHicksted,
Are all the 206 module lights on? I would try to reseat all the cards and try it again. It looks like your programming is okay, and your rs232 connection looks okays if you are getting a result string (not garbage).
-Chris

Chris

All the 206 module LEDS are solid Green and the ACS module LED is also green. If I power off the system remove the ACS and power back on, all the 206 modules are green and the VMS module has disk activity the LED blinks green for a while and eventually turns solid green. THis is the configuration I get the RS232 messages. If I power down plug the ACS module back in and power up the ACS and 206 modules power up Geeen. THe VMS module powers up off or RED. After a few seconds it seems the system resets (all LEDS go off the the ACS and 206 module LEDS come back on green but the VMS module comes up flashing RED. There is no sound of disk activity and there are no messages on the RS232 port.

-R

Hi RHicksted,
The only thing I can suggest is to try the vm card in another system. Even down to a Partner Plus R3.1, just to see if the voicemail is defective.
-Chris

It sounds like the hard drive crashed in the original power off/on, that's why the LED flashes red. Try using the ACS in the center slot, the VS mail in slot 1, and NO 206 modules at all. See if it will power up with a green on the VS mail. If it comes up, temporarily reprogram the extensions in hunt group 7, and see if you can log in. (remember to remove the original extensions).

If it still comes up with a flashing red LED, and you have nothing else to lose, I have done this a couple of times (without the customer looking on): During the power up sequence, use the handle of a screwdriver to tap on the lower third of the VM module, trying to unstick the hard drive head.

Good luck, there's also a couple of regular posters that also offer repair who might chime in or offer their services.

Hi RHicksted,
TouchToneTommy has a good suggestion. If the drive spins up, then do a backup of the hard drive into the PC card. Then have people empty their mailboxes. That drive won't last if the knock fixes it. You can at least restore the programming and greetings from the backup. The messages would not transfer.
Wierd on a newish voicemail unit.

-Chris

Tom & Chris

I removed the VMS module and opened the case to inspect the internals. Everything looked ok with no obvious phical damage. Opening the unit definitely jarred the hard drive. When I re-assembled and tried in the system again. the unit powered up OK. Must have had a stuck head as suggested. From your comments, I may need to have the module serviced soon.

I still can't run any commands on the RS232 port. I can see the diskcheck and startup messages. I think I have the connections correct to a PC as per a recent post and Hyperterm configured as per the VMS documentation. Are there special key sequences to communicate with the module? Can anyone provide a pinnout specific to the VMS RS232 port?

Finally, If the hard drive does fail can this be easily changed or does this require special formatting and software?

-R

Glad you got it restarted. On a VSR5, the serial port is only for dumping a text file of the configuration, you can't do any programming through it. When you log into the system administrator's mailbox, option 8 (i think) gives you the ability to dump the report.

Hi guys,
Yup, option 8. Just listen to the prompts after you get into admin.
-Chris

TouchToneTommy & Chris

I want to thank you two for all your suggestions. The system is working fine and my customer loss minimal use of the system. At some point, I guess, I will need to have the VMS module serviced.

Thanks Again
RHicksted

Hi RHicksted,
Don't wait. Do the vm backup before it dies. It's up to the customer to take action now or wait of course. It's only 2-3 min of vm downtime for the backup.
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back