Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMPRO - PC Locking Up VM offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrchris

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
US
Hi Guys,

Recently upgraded from the embedded to VMPro. Ran great for about 6 weeks, now all of the sudden the pc freezes up causing vm to be unavailable. this happens about every 7 to 9 days without rhyme or reason. Restarting the pc solves the problem. I'm kinda stuck for a solution. PC seems fine, brand new Dell, XP Pro SP2. IP Office (SOE) and the pc are on their own network so all firewalls etc are disabled.

Right now as a workaround I think I am going to setup a scheduled task to restart the pc every night around 2 am, but I would really love any thoughts on why it would do this.

Thanks

I might suggest checking the event viewer, the last entry in either the system or application tab before the reboot is a good place to start, hopefully the answer is there

Nothing of note in the event viewer logs. Very strange, unfortunately the boss is most pissed. Started out with embedded vm despite my protests, which sucked, went to vm pro and everyone seemed to be happy for about a month then it froze, restarted, fine for a week, crashed again, fine for a week. Well today it only made it about 6 hours. I'm pretty sure its related to the pc, but now the boss thinks all this avaya stuff is crap and wants to rip it all out. frustrating to say the least.

Find a new VM server, install VM Pro and test...

Yeah that was kind of my plan, tracking down an HP server and loading up Server 2k3 to run this. Hopefully that will be more stable.

Now I know why Cisco is so damn particular about their hardware for call manager.

Unfortunately there is so much bad feelings from the boss and users that Avaya could make this thing lay golden eggs and brew latte's and it would still piss em off.

I ran into a similar problem last year with our IPO 403 & VMPro. It was also running off of a brand new Dell XP Pro w/ SP2. VMPro was the only thing running off of the machine and it would lock up every few days requiring a restart. We resorted to reformatting the hard drive and reloading the software and since then it hasn't crashed. It ended up being a faulty software load from Dell (which happens on occasion).

I think I probably got this from TekTips, any you all probably already know this, but when I setup a new VMPro box I always change the NIC to 100/half duplex, and "do NOT allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Obviously turn off hibernation/turn off hard disk power setting options.

CZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back