Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMPro Licenses Invalid in manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ned7077

MIS
May 24, 2004
Late last week, VMPro was dropping offline, but the service was running and no errors in event viewer, so I checked the system out and thought it was an incompatability with 1 or several MS updates released. Long story short is I came in the office Tuesday and decided to upgrade the system to 3.2.17 and did that successfully and then it dawned on me it could be a licensing problem. Sure enough, 4 Port Vmail Pro and additional 4 port Vmail Pro licenses are both invalid. What do I have to do to recover these? Unfortunately the vendor we bought the system from in 2002 no longer sells or supports Avaya products. Any ideas? I have old configs dating back to 2004 if needed.
I have the feature key server running with a parallel HW lock attached. This is a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine.

Thank you for any insight.

Here's tek-tip 38, which used to have the batch file embedded, but doesn't appear to be the case now:
post you're email address and I'll send the .bat file your way. This should be non-relevant if you have the Windows Firewall turned off on your machine. Have you installed any other 3rd party firewall or anti-virus software recently? It would be good to turn those off for the time being while you're troubleshooting this issue.

Cale

CZ

My email is ncipollini at comcast dot net. I ran through your other suggestions with reboots and still invalid. I have the virus protection off for now until this issue is fixed. It was working anyways. I think I found the firewall bat file on the DOC 3.2 CD in a zip file, but I would appreciate if you send it anyways. There was a page in the technote you linked to about DCOM permissions. I have made the changes it suggested.

Thanks again.

PS The hug didn't work. The kick is next.

I recommend deleting the license key from the config (just the one that claims its INVALID), send the config, then manually re-enter the key, then send and reboot.

I've seen parts of the config get corrupt and, even though it looks correct, there is an issue with the part of the config used for that particular station, license key, LCR entry, etc.

The reboot will ensure it validates quickly. Otherwise, you'll have to wait up to an hour before checking again to see if its valid.

Hope this helps...

Kris G.

OK, I tried everything and nothing works. I have just installed the dongle on a Wndows 2000 server I have and loaded the admin suite on it as well, changed the licensing server to match that machine and verified the Key Server is running on the new machine. The licenses are still showing invalid. I think I'm going to call Avaya and pay $226 per half hour. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. This forum is a great asset because of all of you.

have you tried completely erasing the config and then just putting the licences on?

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Call your vendor, if they are an Avaya Business Partner they should be able to help you alot cheaper and have access to Avaya's Tech Support.

Did you have any upgrade issues when you went to 3.2? where you at 3.1.65 initial before going to 3.2.17?

>mike

Yes I was at 3.1.65 and no issues other than this 1

Call ANY Avaya Business Partner - they should be able to help you for way cheaper than going to Avaya directly.

It is a hardware issue. Running monitor this is the first thing it shows:

********** Warning: TEXT Logging to File STOPPED on 23/8/2006 17:37:08 **********

1mS PRN: Monitor Started IP=172.26.6.201 IP 406 3.2(17) Voith Paper
1mS PRN: LAW=U PRI=2, BRI=0, ALOG=0, ADSL=0 VCOMP=0, MDM=0, WAN=0, MODU=4 LANM=0 CkSRC=1 VMAIL=1(VER=2 TYP=1) CALLS=0(TOT=11)
475mS RES: Qp >dpb3MaY 19/0/2002 17:33:01 FreeMem=2705584(20) CMMsg=5 (6) Buff=100 645 500 1359 3 Links=5576 Elements=0
2702mS PRN: Falc 5 slip

Notice the date and invalid characters. Avaya has told me the unit has to be replaced and they have seen this before.

What OS are you running??

I’ve recently done an install of 3.2, and two upgrades to 3.2. All were done on systems with Windows 2000 Server SP3. The problem is that even though you install the key server software and the service is running, no icon shows up in the task bar at the bottom of the screen. On one of the upgrades, the licenses were all coming up as invalid. I called Avaya and they were able to recreate the problem. They upgraded 2000 Server to SP4 and it worked fine. So even though 3.2 will work on Win2000 Server SP3, it can cause problems with the key server. Avaya’s suggestion was to install SP4.

They also sugested to "download and install the "Sentinel SuperPro" Driver. This diver is still under test with Avaya and no conclusions/results have been given. This driver has been used as a last resort to use to resolve the "KEY" issue in 3.2.17"

Hope that works!!

The VM Pro server is a Windows XP SP2 PC and I tried it on a Windows 200 Server SP4 as well. The Avaya tech downloaded a file from the web site you linked to above to test the HW lock and it tested OK on the Win XP box. I tried the Win2k box just to eliminate the XP system as the problem.

The Avaya tech said everthing I did that was suggested here was what he had on his troubleshooting list and so I thank everyone again for their efforts.

Finally a tech came and replaced the 406 unit. Before he did the swap, they downgraded the FW to 3.1.658902 becasue there is an outstanding issue with clocking that hasn't been fixed yet. They recommended not to upgrade until those binaries for 3.2 were released. That didn't fix the problem anyways. When he opened it to take the T1 cards out, there was a burn mark on the top side of the chassis and a charred chip on the PCB. After he replaced the unit, flashed to 3.1.658902, loaded our config, licenses came up valid. Does anyone know specifically what the clocking issue is? Also the Avaya phone tech said VM Pro and the MS Windows update service conflict and can stop the VM Pro service. Has anyone experienced this behavior?

Thanks,
Ned

Hi Ned,

I ran into the clocking issue and the the windows update conflict.
The clocking issue involves IPO's with a T1. If there is a T1, the IPO uses the provider (ie Verizon) as its clocking source. The problem is the digital sets sync off of the clocking of the T1. The 3.1.65 rev doesnt sync properly, causing digital sets to reset because they lose their timing w/ the IPO.
The Windows update conflict I have run into is related to a Windows update automatically rebooting the VM server. After the reboot, the VM stops working, after a reboot of the VM server it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back