Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vmm32.vxd "Not Available"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deke99

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
US
My sound card suddenly quit working. I had used Reg Clean to clean up my registry as I had deleted several programs, but nothing happend when I did that shortly thereafter the sound card just quit.
I went to System Information and it listed the sound Card and the drivers but in () it said that the card was using vmm32.vxd but it was unavailable !
I then looked in the registry under controllers/vmm and found a strange entry in the file. It was not the usual blue icon and said enabled with a value of "". I checked on several other machines in my office of the same make and this was not in their registry. So I deleted the entry. Nothing changed and no sound.
I installed a new sound card but still no sound.
The device manager says everything is working correctly, all other indicators say the drivers are correctly installed as is the card
When I go to Control Panel and select Sounbd none of the items are working. It sayd there is no sound card.
WHERE TO GO FROM HERE ?
The Dekeman

Try going to Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup, and removing the check from Multimedia. Apply this, and then reinstall by placing the check back, and applying again.

Thanks,
but been there done that
in fact I unchecked everything under Windows Set-Up no luck
Have read somewhere that the vmm32.vxd is a very big library file and cannot be restored from system restore or anything like that
know of any procedures to rebuild it ? The Dekeman

Remove the sound card from the device manager and let the plug and play pick it up.
Make sure you have the drivers.
I had the same problem with the modem.
Give it a try. Also have you tried the Microsoft Help Page.

Deke, you're partly right. The VMM32.VXD is constructed by Windows Setup and is unique for the machine. For this reason, it cannot be extracted directly from the CAB files. However, the System Restore should have a backup of your VMM32.VXD file, and so the System Restore may help.

If it does not, I have a procedure for rebuilding it, but it is quite a bit of work.

rwise2112,
Thanks for your suggestions. I am still not sure what went wrong with the VMM32 file but ended up doing a full re-install. Consoled by the fact that it was about time to do a clean-up anyway, just not at this particular time.
I also saw the article you referred to about rebuilding the file. Matbe should have tried that, but it looked almost easier to re-install.
Besides I got this neat USBII external hard drive holder and wanted to try it out in a re-install, went great.
Thanks again The Dekeman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back