Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMM32.VXD error when loading W98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff1048

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2001
US
I am doing a fresh install of W98SE on a Compaq Presario4620
with a PII processor and 128M ram. All goes well until it goes to discover plug and play devices and then I get this:

Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.
C;\Windows\system\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load

the PC then freezes and needs to be hard booted but goes back to the same error again.

I have done a quick search on the net and noticed that other have encountered this when reloading PII computers, but no solution. Any ideas? Thanks

Brad:

Thanks for your info, I had actually looked at those articles and they did not do the trick. I will keep looking
any help is appreciated

By chance, do you have a Umax SCSI Scanner?

I have had a few Umax Scanners do this. If so, try unplugging the scanner and pulling the SCSI card out of your system. Then see if you can get into windows.

I don't remember the fix, but I remember that I found it on Umax's Website......

Good luck ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

Thanks for all the responces, I reloaded W98 a couple times more and finally got a good install, I believe that the CDROM drive was having a hard time reading the disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back