Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajtsystems

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2009
GB
Hi,

I am trying to spec a quote for a full VM system with a requirement for VM High Availability.

OK, my question is related to disk space on the SAN for the high availability. I understand that if the VM Host fails from a hardware perspective the VM machines running on the VM host will move to a spare Host on new hardware. But what happens if teh O\S fails? Will a snap shot be required on the SAN to be brought into the live environment and if so can someone confirm whether this will require extra disk space.

It sounds like it will but I am on a learnign curnve so any response gratefully received,
James

you are correct, that a SAN or VM snap is required if you experience windows problems/Corruption and need to restore to a previous point in time. SAN space will be required to store the SNAP. With the new Vsphere there is two types of HA. Host HA or VM ha(a ghost of a running vm is run at the same time on a different physical host

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back