Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM to Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumGuy

Instructor
Apr 2, 2007
GB
I have an exchange server that is acting as my domain controller.

The VM machine is logged on to the domain using the admin account. This means i have local and Domain admin rights. I was logged on as this user when installing VM, i have selected a basic install with no IMS or anything else. I have my email address set in manager etc.

I have my Outlook installed and working ok.

If i install VM Pro and set it to use SMTP it works fine first time.

I am trying to get it working for MAPI. Will it work? Will it buggery.

My VM Server is 2003 SP2, i am using the trial software that has support for 2003 sp2, i have confirmed this is supported but not released yet. Dont worry about this at this point.

I am logging on to the vm machine using the domain account and the vm service is logging on using the domain account.

I have set my VMPro to MAPI.

Question. Typically i have never had to set a MAPI profile, it uses the default MAPI profile installed on the pc. If i want to fill these fields in, exactly where does this info come from? Is it the domain account user name and password? Where should i be looking to find the info for these fileds exactly?

In my debug i can see that the MAPI is logged on and also that it is sending an email. However i never see any sent items or anything in my MAPI client.

I know there are things surrounding security and 2003 however i would at least expect to get a warning telling me something is trying to send an email on my behalf. Im not getting anything in the MAPI client at all.

Any ideas? Cheers

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACS - IP Office Implement
ACE - IP Office Implement
ACI - IP Office Implement

I am also trying to get this going for text to speech. every time i change it to mapi the email alerts stop. I havent really looked into it to deep yet but if anyone has it working could you please post some of the things you had to do to make it work.

Nope, also have the same problem. Exact same setup as PlatinumGuy, adn i just dont seem to get any mail at all either.

I have been advised that there was a bug. This should have been fixed in the trial V4.

This is the version i am using, im thinking it hasnt been fixed.

On a system I have 4.0.7 firmware with 4.0.15 vm pro. I turn it to mapi and notifications don't work but TTS seems to work. Then I turn it back to smtp and alearts work and tts still works. To get it to work I had to re-install voicemail with the account that has rights to see other exchange mailboxes so it could read their email.

The profiles that it asks about are the profiles in outlook. If you go to control panel then mail the show profiles you will see the outlook profiles on the system.

My understanding of MAPI is that it uses the profile of the email client installed (and running???) on the machine for the MAPI info. SMTP doesn't require an email client installed locally.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Kurthansen.

Yes i have that.

I am logging on to the domain as the domain adminstrator, this has local admin rights by default.

I have installed the vm pro logged on as that account and told the vm service to use that account to log in.

This is all done on the install. I have re installed it twice like this.

This is what i dont understand quite.

You say the MAPI profile is the outlook profile.

If i go to control panel and mail i have a profile called Mail, i have called it that. That profile has an account on the exchange server, that user/mailbox is called Administrator with a password of avaya.

Is the Mapi profile i specify in VM pro Mail or Administrator?

By what you are saying it is Mail, but there is no password with that profile, there is only a password on the user account on the exchange server.

It's username and password of the Active Directory account (I think!) ie Administrator/avaya in you case

Jamie Green

Yes, got that.

No flippin dice.

I am running debug on the vm and i can see that the vm is logged in to the MAPI account ok and it is sending the mail to the address specified.

However i see nothing in outlook at all.

There is a doc regarding applying a security template to overcome the security that later versions of outlook introduce, ie outlook wont let VM send a message via MAPI unless you apply this security template.

I have done it but dont think i have done it correctly as when i run VM lite it still tells me another app is trying to send an email on your behalf blah blah.

Has anybody seen this document and implemented it correctly?

There was a little app called Click Yes (I think-long time ago) which did exactly what the name says when Outlook does this.

Jamie Green

PG - RTFM :)

The document you speak of is faq940-4343 and yes it works. This is why I use Outlook express if possible - there is a tick box on the security tab that allows you to turn the confirmation box off!

Is Microsoft outlook set as default mail client?

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Just curious, why is it omportant to use mapi when the smtp works? When are you getting out of using mapi in your setup?

Ronromano:

When you use MAPI, you will have all your messages saved on the exchange server (allowing them to be backed up), and you will be able to for example login as the user "voicemail" and browse your sent items.

Thats why i want it anyway! :)

The reason for me is because its there and i want it to work.

No other reason than that really. I want to know if im doing something wrong or not.

Outlook express dont even work.

The debug says the message is being sent but nothing.

Ive had enough cannot be bothered with it any more. ive tried for 3 days.

i was doing it to get text to speech working. I have been doing this for 2 solid years. Only IPO and never had text to speech before now ihave 2 sites that need it runnning yesterday.

Server is 2003 SP2 , i am sure Avaya said they support 2003 sp 1 only currently

spanning said:
Server is 2003 SP2 , i am sure Avaya said they support 2003 sp 1 only currently
Not quite correct - the latest version of 3.2 supports 2003 SP2
see the link ]Release note[/url]

Likewise
PG's 1st post said:
My VM Server is 2003 SP2, i am using the trial software that has support for 2003 sp2, i have confirmed this is supported but not released yet. Dont worry about this at this point.

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Oh well just missed the tip but thanks Matt however it still is on limited support only CCC not supported 2003 sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back