Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM to Email question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyodude

Technical User
Sep 21, 2010
US
I am an end user and was curious as to the setup of the VM to email function. We are a very small office that is growing. We only have 6 employees currently and utilize GoDaddy for our hosted email.

We were told that we may not be able to setup this VM to email functionality unless we had an MS Exchange server. We really didn't intend on going that route as we don't have our own in house IT person to support this. Is this the only route to set up this service of is there a way to set it up using a hosted email solution such as GoDaddy?

Many thanks!
Steve

do you have VM Pro or are you using the embedded mail for your voicemail functions?

VM Pro no problem you can install a SMTP relay into your PC and that can then use your account at your hosted solution to forward the e-mails.
Embedded a bit more complicated but you can still use a PC to forward the e-mails to your hosted solution or the better route would be to call your provider and allow sending of anonymous smtp from your public IP address then set the IP Office to just send it to their specified IP address.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

You can do simple SMTP with external servers. I have tried with VMPro to get some external services going and not all of them work. If you have VMPRO running on a server or XP box you can use that as a relay server to get out to Godaddy. do you have voicemail pro or embedded?

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

beat you by a hair Kevin :p

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

I know.. i guess i am not as fast as i used to be...thats why i dont post much anymore. everyone is so fast i can never keep up. You would think with all the work we have to do that no one would have to time reply to every post...[smile2]

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

According to the purchase order for this system, we have the embedded VM version.

I take it this is a little more involved, which is fine. I simply would like to get this info back to the tech so that they can head in that direction. Again, if this gets us away from having to install and setup an Exchange server, we are all for that.

According to the purchase order for this system, we have the embedded VM version.

I take it this is a little more involved, which is fine. I simply would like to get this info back to the tech so that they can head in that direction. Again, if this gets us away from having to install and setup an Exchange server, we are all for that.

If there are any very basic instructions to accomplish this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve

if you have a tech install it for you then use a computer tech to setup the smtp relay on a pc (not really complicated TBH but probably better for a computer guy)and then setup the computer as the SMTP target in the phone system and you should be golden.

Kevin
I know what you mean, I get most of my work done at night at home because during the day time I get interrupted so often that I can't finish anything here, so I go onto the TT website and do a little here and there.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

Westi
have you ever done that, vm embedded to email ?
Can you give a step by step instructions ?

Thanks

That's for VM pro I think [ponder]

Have you tried:

ip: 97.74.104.201 port: 587
email from address: accountname@godaddy.com
server requires auth: ticked
user name: accountname@gmail.com
password: your password
use challenge response auth: unticked

:)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Hi guys.
here is my guide to enable email voicemail embedded.
- first prepare one more email address for ipoffice
- tell that "vm at yourcompany dot com"
- suppose you have smtp dot yourcompany dot com as SMTP server
- discover IP address i.e ping smtp dot youcompany dot com
- open manager and select SYSTEM\SMTP
- write down smtp ip address (discovered with ping)
- port 25 (usually works)
- write new e-mail address (that one for ip office)
- write user and password like usual

Now you need to activate voicemail to each user
example email boss at yourcompany dot com
- In manager go to "user xxx boss" / voicemail
- check voicemail activate and email voicemail
- write down email address boss at yourcomany dot com
- select copy (in this way you have both email and normal email operation via phone)

pro: you save money
cons: smtp server may change address. So you need to change it now and then. spam system can block emails.

pink are wellcome!

That's a more elaborate version of my post, but I ping'd/resolved the address for him.....no pink required :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Amriddle01 if you try telnet 97.74.104.201 587
you have no response.

I read that godaddy use "smtp.secureserver.net"
ip address: 72.167.238.201
ping is not working on this server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor