Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM to Email Office 365 Relay 9.1.200.91 Embedded

Status
Not open for further replies.

vobarex77

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2015
US
I have an embedded VM to Email setup through O365 SMTP relay. I'm using the correct IP route to my gateway, but what is happening is that it works for a while, then sends the VM messages back to the phone instead of email. If I reboot, it works for a while, then stops....very frustrating..anyone else have this issue? Everything is setup correctly. I just added DNS into the mix to try to make sure it can route out...even though it does just fine.

are you set to forward or copy? If you look and see that it is changing then see if there is another copy of manager that is staying open and changing the setting.
Mike

Indeed, there is a setting that forwards VM to email only and a setting that does it to both, but there is no setting that sends it to one or the other and changes which one by itself. So I think you need to clarify what's happening :)

It is in forward mode. No other managers on network.

I dont think that is what is happening. I think what is happening is that the email fails while the user is on "forward" mode, then the voicemail instead of being lost, is delivered to the phone. I really have no idea why it all of a sudden changes, but there is no-one logging into phones via one-x or anything like that. They do not change the mode from the phones, and there is nothing in the audit trail to indicate anyone other than myself in admin control. Not to mention the whole shop is a mac shop.

That does not happen if the SMTP server is not available after all retries then the VM is lost as I have seen. The VM sends the email as a blind try and then deletes the VM. This is why we use copy for our clients.
Mike

Did you check SysMon with SMTP filters enabled?

I did not check sysmon yet, that's my next stop, but it's hard to nail down, I'll have to check that the next time it goes out. Whats funny is if your open manager when this is happening is still showing the phone on forward mode, and it is still droppig the mail in the phone.

If it's set to forward it will not pull the VM back to the handset if it fails, it just gets lost, if it's alerting on the handset you have something going on with the config being changed :)

I have had it on forward when the message doesn't leave the system. When this happens, it is the smtp log-in credentials not working properly or the account has changed. I just had this happen to a client with forward turned on and it turned out their IT dept blacklisted the email they were supposed to be using for the sender for vm to email.

Is the SMTP relay IIS6.0 or running on a Win2003 server? Then upgrade as it is a known issue on these platforms that SMTP relay stops working.

This is embedded, not much to it. I can tell you that none of them are changing the settings. I think this is a bug. I'm gonna do some testing

I don't understand why you don't look at the start of the mail. SysMon shows you the SMTP events and you will find error messages if authentication fails or something else is wrong.

is the user changing their settings withing either visual voice or their voice prompts? is it every user or just one or two?

so, all you are doing is rebooting the 500 and it starts working? bad switch port or something?

We've had this issue many times with Embedded - if voicemail to email fails for any reason, IPO gives up until reboot. These days we always install our own email relay on site to minimize the chance that IPO will fail to successfully send. The relay service is much more persistent.

I do not know what is happening, but yes even on Forward mode, nothing changed, no-one reset anything, it is in fact leaving a message on the phone, not just "disappearing" as you claimed. SMTP has no errors.

I would suggest an internal relay server on the LAN, I have also seen IPO's stop trying to reconnect after so many failed attempts. Office 365 mail servers seem to constantly be in an impaired state

What is SSA saying is the SMTP server not available? This would tell you that the SMTP server cannot be reached. What we have gone to is a remote relay that seems to work all the time, just not sure how long it will stay that way. Ping relay.appriver.com and use that for the SMTP server, no need for authentication with this. I think it is port 25 also.
Mike

Yeah, it is connected to SMTP, and there is no error, it sends the mail, then drops it in the users mailbox...whilst on Forward mode. The one thing I did see, was that there was 250+ messages on a user account, those have since been deleted and somehow the issues are gone for now, although, I did perform a reboot also...and that fixed it in the past as well. I will run this up the pole to Avaya if need be, they have IPOSS, its just annoying that it has to be this hard. The VM to Email tickets over the years have made me insane, it literally works great sometimes, other times its a dumpster fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back