Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBTC

MIS
Feb 17, 2021
PK
Please help in below.

Virtual_Applications_Snap_eo2sjb.jpg

There is no such thing as a free LUNCH.

what are you trying to accomplish? Avaya doesn't support snapshots while running. The only "backup" they support is shutting down the VM and then taking a full snapshot.

I posted a same type of question a while ago. I thought there might be a new updated software available which could import snapshots in form of OVA at remote computer.

If you have Vcenter you can Vmotion the VMs to another host but don't do that on an active system, that would need to be done outside working hours and you need the same network resources available on the new host.

You can export VMs to an OVF and import that to another Vmware host but the VM needs to be powered off to do the export (you can also create an OVA from the OVF and vmdk if that's what you need)

If you want to import the VM to a non vmware hypervisor you will need to convert the OVA/OVF to an open format and there plenty of free tools to do that.

PS - snapshots should never be used for more than 24 hrs, it causes problems. They are normally used for backups by products like Veeam that delete them after backing up.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

Hi Pal, I have freeware VM software, does Vcenter support machines having freeware VM?

No, you need to export the VM as an OVA and then convert that to an open format or the format your free vm uses.

If you are trying to export the Avaya VMs to use them at home that won't work as WebLM is locked to the host it is installed on.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back