Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM Pro - Leave Mail Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaq250

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2004
US
Can I use the Leave Mail/Post Dial actions together in VM Pro to dial out to an extension if a vmail is left in a particular mailbox?

I tried connecting the success result to a post dial action(and played a wav file to an extension),but it did not work. The vmail is recorded in the proper mailbox,but is there something to be done to start the post dial action?

Or is there any other way to dial an extension if a message as been left in some mailbox.

Thanks in advance.

Use the standard outcalling feature. Search the docs for outcalling, it's clearly explained.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

That worked fine. Is there any way to have it call multiple cell phones in a linear fashion if one does not answer? I have tried creating a Hunt group with extensions that forward to cell phones, but it does not get past the first one.

Is it because the phone system loses control of the call once it is transferred to a cell?

Many calls to specific cell phone providers are considered connected once they hit their network, others are not connected untill the call is answered or sent to voicemail. This will be fixed in 4.0 I am told, but in the mean time you can hang a Partner or Legend off of it. Great inexpensive work-around huh.

Thanks kflounders,

But as I am a new user to IP office, I have no idea what you meant by Partner or Legend.

Any explanation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you once again.

Sorry, it was a joke, sort of. The Partner and Legend are other product lines from AVAYA that have cascading outcalling which is exacatly what you want. The IP Office does not have that functionality so some of us have had to connect one of those systems to the IP Office to add it. It is expensive and silly, but if a customer had it before they are not too happy to give it up after you sell them an upgraded PBX.

We managed to use a dialer program to do the sequential dialing to cell phones and play a message stating to check the mailbox.

The STATUS.TXT file in a user's Vmail folder has a lot of flags that can be exploited to check if a message is new, old or marked for deletion and also a hex version of the time of the message. Pretty useful info if you can write a script to manipulate the dialing sequence.

Hope thats useful to someone.

Have you been able to translate the hex time? I took a quick look at it the other day and hoped that hex number was a date/time stamp. Didn't seem to correspond though, thought it was more of a serial number - each new message in the system getting the next number without regard to arrival time.

Peter

Peter,
I've written a program than can recognize the wav files generated by VM. Including the time stamp. The Stamp in the .txt file and the one in the .wav file are only off by a few fractions of a second. So Yes, the .txt file is a time stamp.
If I recall properly (It's been 6 months since I've looked at that piece of code) it's similar to the way *nix stores dates. Eg, so many miliseconds since a specific time. I will look at my code and post back the magic date.

You are right, mallgood.

A colleague of mine figured out that it was the number of seconds since Jan 1 1900.

He found the difference (in seconds) between then and Jan 1 1970 (the epoch for *nix systems) and we were able to deduce the time from there and use it in our Perl script.

Ok. And the magic date is: *drum roll*

#12/31/1900 6:00:00 PM#

Then the hex chunk in the txt file is a 64 bit Integer representation of the time in *seconds* since that date.

HTH

These two opinions are 364 days apart....? Either 1 of you suspect you made a typo?

Peter

Looking back at my code.. My Date seems right. The only problem I can see is that I am an hour off (late). I'm not sure if it is related to Daylight savings or what. But besides that my starting day looks to be right. I will double check a few things and make sure everything is in order.

Ok. I'm almost positive I'm right. My hour off problem looks to be a Daylight savings issue that I wasn't aware of. But the day will be correct. Trying it with
#1/1/1900 12:00:00 AM#
yields dates that are 1 Year too early acording to the announced date of the wave file on the IPO's VMP.

I think mine was supposed to be Jan 1 1901 12 AM (GMT). Haven't confirmed it.....but if mallgood's time is US Eastern Std time, then they are the same.

My bad.

shaq250:

I would be interested in talking to you about your dialer program.

fonedoc

ccifonedoc at yahoo dot com

sure thing,

used one called auto dialer pro ( Served my prupose of calling a number and playing a wave file....and you can pass cmd line arguments too....so its kind of useful if you can write a script to pass arguments to the dialer.

all the best with it.

shaq250,
how did you tell IP Office to use phonedialer pro, when a message was left in the mailbox?
Thanks
james

If you are wanting to dial after a VM is left, I can think of a couple of ways to do it, but they are kind of hacks. If you are using Win2K or XP, you can use WMI script events to monitor a directory for when a file is added or modified. Then based on that, you can extract data from a text file or whatever (including from a binary file, eg. the number). Then you can launch a program with any needed command line parameters.
A good example of WMI Events is:

It's done in VBScript. Very easy to deal with.

Unless shaq250 has done it a better way?

If you have any questions on these, feel free to ask me and I might be able to help.

I used a Perl Script to periodically monitor the user's folder for a new file. The STATUS.TXT file has information regarding whether a message is new or has been read. Based on that you can dial out using auto dialer pro. Mind you, the dialer program is independent of IP Office.

You can run the dialer using command propmts and play a wav file to the line.....and all this can be done with scripting. I used Perl, but u can use anything that you are comfortable with.

I think thats pretty much the same as what mallgood stated earlier.

Sorry for the repetition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back