Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM 7 Dials Out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2001
US
On our system, some people have thier VM setup so that a person can hit 7 and it dials out to their cell phone or whatever number.
I looked in my manuals but cant find how to configure that on a phone.

How do you do that?

Thanks!
Martin

Plexar is a SBC/Southwestern Bell service. From their website:

"Plexar is a full-service telecommunications system for business. Every phone at your location has its own dedicated connection to switching equipment at our central office. Everyone at your business gets the convenience of a separate line."

I'm actually a police officer for the City of West Memphis. I worked the streets for a few years until our chief found out I am a former IT guy. Now I administer the LAN/server/workstations for the department. I also inherited the phone system because I seemed like the right guy for the job.

I digress.

All of the departments within the city are on the Plexar system. I can pick up the phone in my office, select a line, dial a four-digit DN, and be connected to an office on the other side of the city. Calls from outside the Plexar system are placed with the exchange (732) followed by the four-digit DN - just like a "normal" telephone number. It can make things difficult, as you can see.

Hmmmm. So say you are at extention 230 ( feature * 0 then press intercom ) with line 049 ( your plexar line ) assigned. A call comes in on line 049, gets your voicemail caller presses 7 to transfer out of the viocemail. What line are you using to call out? it can't be 049 because that is in use on the inbound call..... It is best to chose a line pool over an individual line because if that one line is in use else where.... typically I would think pool A or pool 1 is the first choice. ( What happens when you pick up the phone select intercom then press 9 ? do you get a line ? ) I think the plexar thing is moot at this point unless you have centrex ( same idea as plexar ) software in your phone system. you are not making it out of the telephone switch ( norstar ). If you were there would be diffrent symptoms such as dead air or re-order tones ( fast busy )
one other thing of note. Depending on your software version (voicemail) you may be able to program your off premise transfer to do a hookflash then 9+number. taking the call off the norstar all together. this would also depend on the capabilities of your plexar line. I think your dial string would look like this: #P9P5055551234. the #( I think) provides the hook flash. pauses for a moment ( should have dial tone, internal ), dials 9 to get external dialtone, ( should have external dialtone ), area code + number. the only thing I'm unclear of is whether you have to tell the voicemail to hang up or it does it on it's own....
last thing.. when you are programming your dial string. when you first press the # on the keypad you are given hidden options I THINK pressing 5 will give you the # on the screen, ? for pause and 2 to get back to inputing numbers.
best of luck with my sketchy directions...

Plexar is just like Centrex.
Doing the the # before the dialing string does a LINK feature. You have to have Telco allow link on the lines to use it. The purpose is so that two lines aren't tied up for the duration of the call. It transfers the call and releases the line.

The Plexar system was the reason for my suggestion of using the route to automatically dial the Plexar 9 code without putting it in the destination dialing string as the vmail tends to choke on that complicated a dialing string.

If you want full out instructions on trying my idea above, let me know and I will write it all out for you.

Any one else want to weight in on this issue?????

MRoberts

mroberts,
please write this application out for us (using the route to automatically dial the 9 code). I know I have alot of systems hooked to Centrex and this would be helpful. Maybe a FAQ? Thanks!!

You know... here I thought I was being all brillant and everything. But you can't put a destination code in the dialing string. It would work great if you are simply wanting to hide the "second 9" and dialing straight from the phone itself.

So what's going to happen is he needs to put his lines in a pool.
TrunkType: Loop
Line type: Public (instead of public change to pool A
Dial mode: Tone
PrimeSet: None

Then assign a line pool access code:
System programming
Next until you see
Access Codes - Show
Line pool codes - Show
Line pool A: none - Change to 9.

Then go assign the pool to the mailbox outdial
Feature 983, 1020000 ok
MBOX
CHNG
Mbox: 223 for example
NEXT until you see
Outdial: None
Press CHNG
Select Line or Pool (how you want them to go out)
If you select Pool the screen will show
Pool: (enter 1 for pool A, 2 for pool B etc.)
Accept: 1.. press ok

Then go into
Feature 981 log into the mailbox
Press 8, then 8
Press admin
Ph: enter your plexar access code # 4 2 + number

(ou won't need to add the line pool code because the vmail already knows it when you assigned the pool for the outdial.)

i.e., 9#42 5551212

9 accesses the Plexar line
# specifies the next digits are special characters
4 recognizes dial tone
2 specifies the next digits are to be dialed
5551212 is the phone number dialed

(# before the phone number on regular lines would do the link thing I mentioned before)

To use the route and destination code to hide the 9 of centrex so that the customer only has to dial one 9 to get out.

To Build a Route
Services – Show
Ringing Service – Next to
Routing Service – Show
Routes – Show
Show Route: 001 – Show
Dialout: 9 or whatever your Centrex/ Plexar code is – Next
Use: pool A – Change to pool B 9we'll change it back in a minute)
DN Type: Public

To Build Destination Codes:
Routing Service – Show
Routes – Next
Dest Codes – Show
Show destcode: (enter code) - Next
DstCode: (enter code) – Show
Normal: 000 – Change to route built 001 – Show
AbsorbLength: ALL

Then go back into the Route and change it to use Pool A. For some reason the Norstar doesn't like it when you don't change it from the default pool A, build the dest code, then change it back to pool A. When you try to build the dest code it will say, "route undefined".

Then the customer will only have to dial one 9 to get outside dial tone.

Hope this all made some kinda sense.........

MRoberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back