Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vlookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jl45

Technical User
Jul 17, 2004
GB
If hoping that this should be real easy!(im a real beginner!)

I have a form with a text box and a button

A user enters some text in the textbox tehn presses the button.

The code behind the button should take the value in the textbox perform a vlookup on a stored spreadsheet and return the value of the vlookup in a msgbox

I dont know how to do this please help...

I have the following so far (text1 is the textbox) which doesnt work

src="c:\data.xls"
lookuprange= range("B8:c2000")
msgbox vlookup(text1,lookuprange,2,false)

where do I go from here?

I assume that you are working in Excel. If so, try this:

Code:
Dim src As String
Dim lookuprange As Range
src="c:\data.xls"
Set lookuprange= Workbooks("data.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").range("B8:C2000")
msgbox Application.vlookup(text1,lookuprange,2,false)

This approach requires that data.xls be open. I assume that you have already assigned a value to variable text1. I also assume that text1 exists in lookuprange--because you have no provision to handle the error if it doesn't exist.

If the worksheet containing B8:C2000 is active, then you don't need to qualify it with the name of the workbook and worksheet. Just use:
Set lookuprange=Range("B8:C2000")
You need the Set because lookuprange is a Range object variable.

To use worksheet functions in VBA, you can prefix them either like Application.Vlookup or WorksheetFunction.Vlookup. I use the former because it is shorter.

you wrote "text1 is the textbox", if this is the case then use Text1.text when doing the Vlookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back