Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vlookup on Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJD10

MIS
Apr 26, 2002
US
I've gone through all the posts where people are trying to look up by numbers and have problems where it's a text field and should be reformatted to a number. Here's my issue:

I have a text field (B2052AG1-JOB00187) that needs to be run against column 2 in my range. Upon a match, I need column 1 (Date) returned.

=VLOOKUP (C3,SampleRange,1, False)

I've used VLookup before using a text field and returning a number. However, I'm not sure what's going on now. (Maybe the first time it was a fluke ;-)

Any other function I should use for text matches? I've been spinning my wheels on this for quite some time.

Thanks,

AJD10

VLOOKUP works on LOOKING UP in the FIRST column of the LOOKUP RANGE and RETURNING some other column within the lookup range.

Try using MATCH & INDEX as follows
[tt]
=INDEX(ReturnRange,MATCH(c2,LookupRange,0),1)
[/tt]
:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Ah ha!

I changed the order of my columns and it works!

Thank you so much!!

[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back