Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLOOKUP Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajduk1

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2005
GB
Hi
I have a VLOOKUP that I need to use to enter info vertically
=VLOOKUP($A1,cust,1,FALSE)(CUST IS A DEFINED NAME)
If I fill down all is ok but I want to fill across keeping the absolute reference (A1) but allowing the lookup column to change from 1 to 2 to 3 etc.
eg.
=VLOOKUP($A1,cust,1,FALSE) =VLOOKUP($A1,cust,2,FALSE) =VLOOKUP($A1,cust,3,FALSE) ETC

When I drag across using the fill handle it keeps the column reference and so adds the same info along all columns.
Is there a way od doing this ?

AJD

AJD

Only if your offset reference is going to be linear

If your 1st formula is in column A and the offset is 1 then you may use:

=vlookup($A1,cust,column(),FALSE)

You can add or subtract numbers from the column() reference depending on exactly how your offset works so if the 1st formula is in col D then you would use:

=vlookup($A1,cust,column()-3,FALSE)

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Thanks Geoff
I used your formula to an extent. I used :
=vlookup($A1,CUST,column()*1,FALSE) this gave me all I needed when entered in B1 and dragged across.

Thanks again Geoff

AJD

why multiply the column() by 1? It returns a number so there should be no need to multiply

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back