Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tccna

ISP
Jan 31, 2003
PS
Do the users of the same VLAN have to have the same subnet address ?

If they wish to communicate with each other, then yes they do.
logo-tektips.gif

But it is still LAN eventhough it is vertual ?????????

The question in another way :

ISL doesn't use the layer three addressing (VLAN ID instead) so it is switching , then two different VLANs with different subnet addresses can communicate without using a router is that right ?

Two different VLANs with any subnet addresses can not communicate without using a router.

CCNP, CCDA, CQS/IPTDS
BOJIKA

You mean ISL routing ?

So,Do the users of the same VLAN have to have the same subnet address if they want to communicate with each others?
I still have some confusion with compairing VLAN to normal LAN .

Another question:

Can we assign the same port to two different VLANs at the same time assuming it is an access link not trunked link (i.e normal port not fast ethernet port),

Thank You

From what I understand, if you have a switch that does routing between vlans than you are ok. Lets just say you have a main switch which is a VTP server. All vlans get propagated down to other switches which are vtp clients. The main switch handles the routing between vlans so that machines on different vlans can comunicate. This eliminates the need for a router to route packets between switches.

John B
MCSA, Network +, A+

Another thing is, you can have a server or something part of multiple vlans. This way, other computers can see this server.

Hi,
You can purchase a network card capable of understanding ISL tags, therefore a server can be part of different VLAN's. I have never seen one, though I know Intel sells the "Intel Pro/100 Intelligent Server Adaptor". When using you must configure your port on the switch to be a trunk port. I'm not sure how the OS would handle multiple layer 3 addresses per interface as I have never used it, however,using some protocol without layer 3 features, such as netbeui and you server should see each segment fine.

-Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back