Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLANs possible on a 2924 switch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalecooper

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
DE
Hi

I've been assigned the task to figure out how to create VLANs on an old 2924 switch we had stashed away somewhere.
I have no documentation whatsoever so I went with the docs found on the CISCO website.

So far, I've been able to reset the password and assign an IP address to the switch (VLAN1?!) IOS Version is 11.2!

The guides for creating VLANs mention a "Vlan" command, but the command list of my switch (I entered "?" to see it) doesn't know it.

Does that mean, I can't create any VLANs??
Or should I use the Web-based management for that??

Sorry, if this is dumb, but I'm no CISCO expert and I'm learning as I go along.

Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers
Ralf G.

As far as I am aware only the Cisco 2924-XL-EN (enterprise) versions of this switch can create Vlans. These are the units that we currently use.

Hope this helps a little anyway.

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks a lot, Tony!

The sticker at the bottom of the switch says it is a 2924-XL! But the commands I mentioned are still not supported.

Can you tell me the procedure you use with yours??

Thanks again
Ralf

You are missing the all important 'EN' making it an Enterprise version. All other 2924's don't support VLAn's.

Here are my command lines anyway:

vlan database
vlan <number> name <name>

This is all it takes. My 2924's however are all part of a VTP domain and set to client mode. But your standalone switch should support these commands (IF THEY ARE ENTERPRISE SWITCHES), which I think they may not be.

Regards,

Tony :)

Precisely it's an WS-C-2924-XL. All the docs I've found so far don't really make a sharp difference between these models and just speak of the &quot;2900&quot; series.

I think you are correct, though since the vlan commands are just not there. Bad news for my superior :cool:

Thank you very much
Cheers
Ralf

dalecopper, make sure you are in &quot;enabled&quot; mode, otherwise a lot of the commands are not available. You may have already done this, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back