Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN's not working between Intel NIC and Cisco switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wags2272

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
I have an IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre mini-tower with an Intel 82566DM-2 gigabit NIC. I'm trying to establish VLAN's between it and a Cisco 3750 switch. I'm able to configure VLAN's on the NIC and have the switch configured for trunking, but am unable to ping default gateways or other systems on the network.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing in my configuration?

Trunking protocol?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Post a config from the 3750---how do you get vlans working on a dual-interface NIC??? Why not just use it as an end station and do all the vlans on the 3750? It's a L3 switch, so it will route the vlans...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

My goal is to dual NIC my machine with one NIC residing on an external network and the VLAN'd NIC residing on multiple internal networks. The external NIC will have the default gateway while the internal NIC will only communicate with the networks it is directly connected to.

Switch Config for the port:
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 9
switchport mode trunk
switch port nonegotiate

You don't need vlans---you have two separate ip networks. Don't do vlans.

/

Building dependency tree

The point with the VLAN is that the internal network is several private IP networks. Since I can only have one default gateway, I need VLAN interfaces to communicate with all of them.

All you have to do then is just set an ip address on the switch port fa1/0/1 (or whatever)---make it a layer 3 interface, not a switchport or SVI.

int fa1/0/1
ip add 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
no shut
descr to-IBM
!
int fa1/0/2
switchport
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10
!
int vlan 10
ip add 192.168.1.129 255.255.255.128
no shut
!
that's an example of how it would be done. Then make a default route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1

and make the IBM 10.1.1.1

All the vlans would use their respective SVIs in the switch as their gateways, and the switch would forward all unknown traffic to the IBM, which would forward its traffic out its directly connected interface.

/

Building dependency tree

When you call something a "default gateway", what do you mean precisely? The IBM machine's "default GW", or the default GW for each of the IP subnets you are communicating with?

In my understanding of networking, a machine can have only 1 default gateway. With VLAN tagging, a machine can exist on several networks, but only one interface/sub-interface is configured with the default gateway address. This is the address the machine uses when it doesn't know where to find the destination address. Here is an example of what I'm trying to setup:

NIC 1 - connection to "real world" routed network
IP: 205.54.3.22; DGW: 205.54.3.1

NIC 2 - connection to internal private networks
Sub-interface 1 IP: 192.168.10.130
Sub-interface 2 IP: 192.168.105.130
Sub-interface 3 IP: 192.168.45.130
Sub-interface 4 IP: 10.15.10.130

If the machine is looking for a system on any of the 192.168. or 10.15.10 networks, it knows about those and will send the data to the appropriate sub-interface. If it's looking for a system not on those networks, then it is sent out NIC 1 to the DGW address 205.54.3.1.

The problem I've having is that I can't get the Cisco switch and NIC 2 to communicate properly using VLAN tagging and am wondering what I might be missing in the setup.

Thanks for the help.

Why not just create a /30 between the server and the 3750, and create all the vlans in the 3750, and just make route add statements in the server for all the vlans? And a route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ip-of-the-server-NIC. I really have no idea how to enable trunking on a regular NIC in a server, but I do in a Cisco device...

By the way, you need to do the switchport command before you do switchport mode trunk, etc...

switch(config-if)#switchport
switch(config-if)#switchport mode trunk
switch(config-if)#switchport trunk encaps dot1q
switch(config-if)#switchport trunk allowed vlans 9,18,27,36,45
and make one of the vlans the layer 3 routing vlan to the server.

Is that all you did with the NIC, just set up subinterfaces?

/

Building dependency tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back