Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN's and Baystack 450 - why it doesn't work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brat2

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2004
Hi, all

Today I tried to set up few port based VLANs on Baystack450 Unit was upgraded to latest software v4.4.0.6. In my scenario I wanted one port to be "server port". I have created six independent port based vlans, and I have added "server port" to all vlans.

Like in this example:

Ports 1,2,3,4 - VLAN#1
Ports 5,6,7,8 - VLAN#2
Ports 9,10,11,12 - VLAN#3
Ports 13,14,15,16 - VLAN#4
Ports 17,18,19,20 - VLAN#5
Ports 21,22 - VLAN#6

Port 24 was assigned to VLAN#1 to VLAN#6, and my local server is connected to port 24. Can anyone tell me why it doesn't work?

I can exchange data "inside" each VLAN, but I can't reach server on port 24.

Thanks in advance,
BRAT

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is port 24 a Trunk port?
It should be

-Cheers, Niklas

It might be worth explaining what your ultimate goal is. I once setup something similar on a BayStack 350 where I wanted devices to all see the server but not be able to see each other even though they all had IP addresses in the same subnet. As I recall the configuration was basically what you described. In your example if you turned on trunking or vlan tagging on port 24 the server would probably be confused if it was unable to understand the tag/vlan information.

The shared port would need to be in VLAN 7 for example with a PVID of 7. All other ports would also need to be a member of VLAN 7, but their PVID's would be the same as their original VLAN. If you have different subnets on each VLAN, I'm not sure how many Ip addresses you can add to a server interface but I think you could add 6.
I hope this helps

Yes i agree with the last post. Make sure AutoPVID is turned on before you start configuration. Then the correct PVID will be given to each VLAN. Otherwise go through and change every port so that the PVID matches the VLAN id

Make sure that port 24 is tagged (trunked) and make sure that the server network card supports tagged traffic and is set so. If the server network card cannot handle 802.1Q tagging then it will not work as the card will drop the tagged frames.

You haven't explained what you're using to pass data between VLAN's? You have said you connected a server to port 24 but you don't mention a router. Since each VLAN has to have a different IP subnet, how are you routing between them?

Also; how can your server talk on different VLANs unless he has an address in each VLAN? Making this servers port a member of each VLAN will not allow him to speak on any VLAN but the one his IP address matches.

Can anyone tell me how to do VLAN Trunking on a BPS 2000 (Baystack 470 switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back