Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN VoIP and PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralwyn

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2003
US
I am a newbie on VoIP. My question will be we just purchase Catalyst 4000 series and what I wanted to know is when i create a VLAN for the workstation can i use the same port for the phones and use the same ip address for both? I guess just to make it clear from the catalyst -->IP Phone -->workstation. What I am not sure is the IP address. Is it going to be one for the phone and one for the workstation.

Thank you all in advance.
ralwyn

You have to create two VLAN's. One for ip phones a second for a workstations. VLAN for ip phone has to be set as auxilliary vlan on Catalyst's port.
So there will be two different ip addresses. This schema is good to define diferent QoS for different VLAN's.

marax

maraxman
T-Mobile Czech Republic

I apologized for the late response. Been doing alot of testing since we are in the process of the VoIP for 600 users. Yes, it indeed need two separate IP's. Thank you so much for the answer.

Thanks again,
-Ralwyn

This is not totally related, but it sounds as if you may be able to assist. If using a nbx 100(3com), are the phones and workstations on the same subnet? I know the workstations actually use the ethernet connection coming from the phone.

Not sure about the 3com solution, but for Cisco IP phones, which use the same "daisy-chain" setup for Phone -> PC, the VLAN setup means different subnets. We use 172.16.x.x for voice VLAN (phones) and 192.168.x.x for the PC (data VLAN). We also have a 10.x.x.x management VLAN, but that's certainly not a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back