Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vlan Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
I've been playing with packet tracer and cant' seem to find the answer for a basic situation. Vlan 10 interface 10.10.1.1 with few workstations on 10.10.1.200 and 201 connected and pingable from a workstation through two test switches. Gateway router is 10.10.10.1, why can't i ping from the vlan10 to the router? Trunking is enable between the last switch but 1921 doesn't have vlans unless enable sub interface? Is that what I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

does 10.10.10.1 know how to get back to 10.10.1.1?

where is 10.10.1.1 located on the same router as the 10.10.10.1 ?
draw a pic, or at least explain a bit more.. most likely you be missing routes

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

Thanks for your reply. Everything else behind the router works as it should. Ultimately I need to find out how to get from a vlan interface address to the gateway router.

router 10.10.10.1

switch 10.10.10.242
vlan 10 address 10.10.1.242
vlan 20 address 10.10.2.242

All pcs are able to talk to each other via their respective vlans behind the switch 1 but I cannot make them ping the router. Question i have is if switch 1 has vlan interfaces configured and it is physically attached to the router and trunk ports enable, do i need static routes?

thanks again.

Where are the PCs' gateway (router) addresses?

What are their subnet masks?

I assume the 10.10.10.242 address is on VLAN 1.
I assume the switch is a layer3 switch.
I assume the router is patched to the switch on a VLAN1 interface (untagged).

You then need routes on the router:
10.10.1.0/24 --> 10.10.10.242
10.10.2.0/24 --> 10.10.10.242

Hi Vince and thanks for replying. No Vlan 1 is on 10.10.1.242. 10.10.10.242 is the actual switch ip address for management. I guess this is my problem understating how a L3 or router passes data between Vlan and physical interface. This is what i am trying to replicate in my packet tracer and I can't seem to get it working. Maybe there might be something wrong with the app.

In this explanation vlan 2,3,and 10 reaches the L3 3550 switch and the IP schema is on 10.1.x.x. The end router is on 200.1.1.2 and doubt that this example assumes sub interface to allow vlans across. If I enable trunk port between the L3 and the router, is this enough to pass the vlans?

Ultimately I'd like to know how and what vlan2, 3, and 10 is passed to the router. Is the classless route what passes the traffic across?

Thanks

Hi,

If you are using a L3 switch and have vlan interfaces configured with ip adressess 10.10.1.242 and 10.10.2.242 for vlans 10 and 20 respectively, then your switch interface connecting to the router no longer needs to remain a trunk port since you are now routing on your switch. Your switch port interface connecting to the router will need to be configured as an access port or have the switch interface connecting to the router setup as a routed port.
( Then, if your have routing protocol configured on both router and switch or static routing, the vlans would know how to get to the router. )

HTH
-Viconsul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back