Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vlan, routing and firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpua

ISP
Oct 12, 2011
ZA
hi all

i am new to the networking world please help. my isp just installed a router cisco 1800 series configured fa0/0 10.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

i have a cisco 6500 series switch which i added a layer 2 vlan 89 and assigned a switchport g3/6 to and plugged the router but i cannot ping the router even though the line protocol is up.do i need to do a layer 3 vlan or what.

the default route on the switch is the firewall. i need to route the traffic from the router to the firewall and from the firewall to dedicated server and back. my problem is how do i do the routing
on the firewall is my knowledge on the subject is none

Is the router connected to g3/6?

Is g3/6 setup as an access port in vlan 89?

Are you trying to ping from the switch or a pc?

If it is a pc is the pc connected to an access port in vlan 89 and does it have a address in the 10.x.x.0/24 range?

If it is the switch you are pinging from you will need an svi in vlan 89 see config below
conf t
int vlan 89
ip address 10.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

most routers are connected to a trunk port on the switch and sub interfaces are configured on the router for the vlans see config below:

switch:

conf t
int gi3/6
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk

router:

conf t
int fa0/0
no ip address

int fa0/0.89
encasulation dot1q 89
ip address 10.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

If you can paste the configs from both devices we should be able to help more!

hi cflcrosland

please note that the switch has routing capabillities. there are other vlans that exist

!
vlan 89
name ISP
!
Current configuration : 124 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet3/6
switchport
switchport access vlan 89
switchport mode access
no ip address
end

INTERNET_RW#sho ip int brief
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

FastEthernet0/0 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

FastEthernet0/1 192.168.1.1 YES manual up up

Vlan1 unassigned YES manual administratively down down

Fa0/0 is showing no Ip address and is admin down! the other interface has 192.168.1.1 and that is not in the 10.x.x.x range....

Could this be your problem?

If you would ping your Router from your 6500, need to add an IP address on your "interface vlan 89" in the same subnet of your router.

If I understood, the topology could be :

[Router] [6500]
(10.x.y.z) f0/0
(192.x.y.z) f0/1 ---------- g3/6

With two or more vlan, you must create "sub-if".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back