Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN question for 640-801 exam 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicaGringo

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
I've been studying for the CCNA 640-801 exam for awhile now and I am coming across a little confusion when it comes to the VLAN configuration on the Cisco 1900 and 2950 switches. It seems to me that creating VLANs for each of these switches is very different (for the 2950 you enter the vlan database mode and then create your VLANs, where as for the 1900 you create the VLANs directly from the Global Configuration mode). VLAN membership configuration also differs on both I beleive. My question is what is actually on the new 640-801 exam... the 2950 or the 1900? I am trying to maximize my studying effectiveness, and having to learn 2 different methods is getting confusing. Please let me know if anyone knows specifically what should be on the new exam. Thanks.

Since we are on this topic, how about the routers? Anyone know if they are still using the 2501 on the test or is it all 2600 routers? 2600 loads the ios into ram as to 2500 loads into flash.

Not having taken the 801 I cant say for sure, but the grown up inside me says it would be best to know both ways instead of just learning whats on the exam.

Dear Nica :

Seasons Greetings !

In Cisco Systems Networking Academy Program curriculum also we are using both the 1900 as well as 2950 series commands. In the interactive examples the Cisco 2950 Catalyst Switches are used. But for the theoretical questions, you should be aware of the commands of 1900 as well as 2950 series.

Thanking you.

With regards,

Rohit Singh
CCAI, CCNA, MCSA.

"Since we are on this topic, how about the routers? Anyone know if they are still using the 2501 on the test or is it all 2600 routers? 2600 loads the ios into ram as to 2500 loads into flash."

No, this is not correct. Both routers have FLASH and both routers have RAM. THe 2600 loads the IOS from flash into RAM then decompresses it for execution while the 2500 excutes directly from the flash and 2meg of RAM. On the 2500 the IOS is always in Flash as it is on the 2600, otherwise, you would lose the IOS on a shutdown.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back