Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vlan into diferents 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogies

Technical User
Apr 18, 2005
PT
I must have the same vlan into two 8600 in diferents sites ,
Tanks

Vlan Tagging should be enabled between the two switches.

Your question is vague, please provide more detail so we do not assume when trying to assist your issue.

Hi,
I have a network with baystacks 470 e passports 8600,
I have two datacenters in diferent sites, the servers must have in the same network .

Tanks

You can do this without an issue, as long as you can use VLANs on all the gear that make up your network data flow to both sites. Meaning the router that handles the communications can do vlanning. Your best be in this scenario, is your 8600s handle your WAN ips.

From there you have to setup is vlan tagging across your wan link. This will allow you use the same subnet (Vlan) at both locations.

If you have a firewall or router between these two sites that do not handle vlan tagging, then this will not work for you. You will not be able to split the same subnet across the two sites. (Not that I know of...)

8600s

470---8600---(tagged packets)---8600---470

If you need more info on how to set this up, please let me know. I will shoot you more specifics.

But i have a network just like this
470---8600---(tagged packets)---8600---470
| |
8600-------8600-----------8600
and if the link who have the taged packets broken ,how can i do for the other link work us a backup.
Tanks

As you've probably already realized you'll need to have the VLAN on the primary and backup paths - probably using VLAN tags. Of course this would cause a loop for that VLAN, so you'd need to use spanning tree to setup the active/standby relationship - or you could use Nortel's SMLT feature in a 'square' configuration.

Several people in this group are fairly smart about SMLT configurations, but it might be helpful for you to first take a look on Nortel's web site for their SMLT design guides and their 'Converged Campus Technical Solution Guide'. They give examples and configurations similar to your needs.

Tanks to boths,i think is the way to solve my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back