Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN - DHCP Issue 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

telcomwork

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
Anyone know why when using DHCP option 17 in conjunction with leaving the defaut phones settings 0 for eveything that the IP phones don't pickup the correct vlan therfore throwing off the CLAN and other configrations..

I'm imaging the DHCP scope it wrong somehow but unless I statically assign the VLAN then nothing works and it looks for the wrong network from the DHCP server.

Here's the string on the DHCP server

"MCIPADD= IPADDRESS1, IPADDRESS2, MCPORT=1719, TFTP=tftpboot/voip, TFTPSRVR=IPADDRESS, L2Q=1, L2QVLAN=VLANID, VLANTEST=0"

* Where I have the names "IPADDRESS1, IPADDRESS2, IPADDRESS for the tftp are the acutal IP.

telcomwork,

i guess that's because you need to use option 176 not 17?

So I should be using option 17 inconjunction with 176?

Yes seprate VLANs for voice and data.

Thanks for your help! I'm at a loss ands Avaya hasn't given me antyhing else to try thus far.

dwalin I am using option 176 adn not 17. Maybe there is something in option 17 causing my problem?

Thanks again!

Can someone send me an example of their working 176 string?

On the DHCP server, you will need Option 176 in BOTH the data and voice scope.

Data Scope for untagged VLAN:
Option 176: "L2Q=1,L2QVLAN=XXX" (XXX is your Vlan ID)

Voice Scope for Tagged voice VLAN:
Option 176: MCIPADD=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,MCIPORT=1719,TFTPSRVR=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy,VLANTEST=0 (the xxx is your Call Server and the yyy is your TFTP Server)

Notice how in the data scope there are quotes and in teh voice scope ther are no quotes. This has been successful in the last deployment using 46xx series phones. Do you have all your tagging set up properly on your switches and the vlans set properly? Make sure you have the latest firmware on the TFTP server as well so you will get the new firmware upgrades on your phones.

Hope this helps.

Also, make sure Option 176 is set as "string" values. Good luck getting any help with Avaya on these issues. If you call support, you will be lucky at times if they even know what a VLAN is at Tier 1 support.

avayaconsultant it turns out exactly as you said. We actually had a Cisco eng tells us the same thing and we're working.

Thanks for helping!

Ours turned out to be the policy was only applied on the voice VLAN as opposed to both the voice and native as you and Cisco suggested.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back