Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vlan config between cat6506 and 3548

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
All,

I have setup the cat 6506 as a vtp server/domain and the 3548 as client. Successfully configured etherchannel and trunk between switches. Problem: I don't get vlan updates on the client 3548. The 3548 only shows the default vlan being active on the trunk. Does anyone have an idea??
Setup:
Trunk nonegotiate cat6506
trunk on cat3548

According to documentation the trunk bet. these switches have to be setup manually. The cat3548 IOS does not support DTP therefore the cat6506 was setup as nonegotiate.

thanks all.

Sometimes the 35xx switches do not want to take the vlan information. Make sure that you set it to the vtp client as the last step. Here is what I do.

#vlan database
#vtp prun v2
#vtp domain (Domain name)
#vtp client

Sometimes I have to reset it to vtp server and then back to vtp client to get the update to work. Once it does update, it seems to work fine.

tim,

thanks for the reply, what about the trunk config, cat3548 set to on and nonegotiate at the cat6506. What was your settings for this, also do you need vtp prun v2?

I tried doing what you suggested but are not getting updates. Also when set it to transparent mode on both cat6506 and 3548 all vlans are able to communicate with each other. only manual config? have you done this config successfully using vtp server/client and routing vlans?

thanks,

Timothy,

Have you worked with this combination??(cat6506/cat3548XL) I found an interesting piece of information on the cisco website. Is saying trunks need to be setup manually, because the 3500XL does not support dtp. Therefore vtp also needs to be setup as transparent...
Let me know what you think..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back