Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN Communication Switch 4900

Status
Not open for further replies.

balamanoj

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
IN
I created two Vlans (vlan2 ,vlan3) on 3com 4900 switch
and assigned each vlan on two ports (two and three respectivly).
Then i give uplink to vlan2 port2 another switch 3com 4400
so that switch entirly belongs to vlan2.

Simalrly i give another link on port3 belongs to vlan3 to another 3com 4400 switch.so the entire switch now belongs to vlan3.

Now my problem is how to i communicate between Vlans through 4900 switch.

Please help me i am new to 3com switch configuration

This has been answered before in thread 545-189519.

You need the layer 3 code for the 4900 see your reseller or it may be availabale from 3Com

I hope this helps.

Well How Can i find Layer 3 code installed on my switch or not. I go through system and summary menu i find my switch
informations.
operational Version:3.0
Hardware Version :0
BootVersion :1.0

please i need help

Remember that vlans are seperate networks so if you want users on different vlans to be able to communicate then you need L3, the 4900 has L3 built in, just define an IP address to each vlan and it will route by default, no need to enable RIP or RIP2.

If you want one 4400 on vlan2 to talk to another 4400 attached to vlan2 via the 4900 (or multiple vlans at L2) then you need to use 802.1q or tagging, so define all of the vlans on the links between the 4900 and the 4400 and then add ports into the vlan i.e port 1,2,25 on vlan1 would enable port 1,2 and the downlink port (assuming a 24 port 4400 that is not stacked)

Also 3com has a very useful knowledgebase system via the 3com website, this should help as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back