Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Studio and .net

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuxapian

Programmer
Jun 13, 2001
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can run visual studio alongside visual studio .net on the same machine? I am currently running two different operating systems on my laptop but I need to get rid of one and use both development evironments.

TIA.

I am running VS6 Sp5 and VS.net on Windows 2000 Professional and I haven't noticed any problems.

Install the 6.0 components first, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Chip H.

Oh - if you're going to be doing any ASP.NET development - make sure you have IIS installed *before* you install .NET. You can recover from this, but it's a pain. (lost 1/2 a day last weekend to this).

Chip H.

chiph said:

"Oh - if you're going to be doing any ASP.NET development - make sure you have IIS installed *before* you install .NET. You can recover from this, but it's a pain."

I just installed IDE V7.0 and .NET V1.0 on a Win2K system and am having problems getting anything productive out of this setup. (Note: I do _NOT_ have IIS on this system).

I suspect -- but cannot yet prove -- that what is giving trouble is that I am working with remote systems:

1. My ISP = shared servers running Win2k + IIS 5.0
2. My in-house Test System, also = shared servers running Win2k + IIS 5.0

The reason for 'shared servers' is that I inherited a website originally authored with FP2K (later FP2002) and which relied on FP Extensions. (I gradually eliminated almost all of this dependency).

Originally, in building the IIS TEst System I discovered that shared servers have FP Extensions problems if located under the default server at Inetpub/ they must have independent paths back to the disk root. (Don't know if this still applies with Win2K/IIS 5.0; it was true 18 months ago with NT4).

I want to run a mix of existing HTML and asp pages together with .NET-enhanced forms. When I now try to create a new .NET project/application, using my workstation to create files remotely on the Test system, I can proceed up to a point. Files are created, but I get numerous warning messages about the path not being trusted, and I cannot find a way to get a WYSIWYG view of my new form.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

JimH

I would develop on my PC (with IIS installed), and when you're happy with the pages, use FTP (or Secure Shell FTP if you have it) to upload them to your production site. Sometimes Microsoft tries to be too helpful...

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back