Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 - Missing Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkybee

Programmer
May 15, 2001
GB
I have just installed Visual Studio 2005 beta 2 and am trying to follow some
tutorials. However, I do not appear to have the same options available to me
as per the tutorial. For example, it says go to "New Website" from the file
menu. This option is not available in my version of Visual Studio.

Here is a list of the available options on the file menu:
New Team Project
Add Existing Team Project
Open File
Close
Save Selected Items
Save All
Export Template
Source Control
Page Setup
Print
Recent Files
Recent Projects
Exit

According to the "About Microsoft Visual Studio" I have all the components
installed, VB, Web Developer etc but I cannot seem to access these. I can
open files in it but there is no way of creating new ones.

Any help would appreciated.

Launch the MS visual studio 2005 beta2, where only the "Start Page" tab is shown. The 2nd item from the file menu is "New web site". This can be also found by the 2nd item at the standard toolbar.

Thanks for that. I found the New Website link on the start page tab. There is still nothing on the file menu for this nor are there any buttons on the standard toolbar that do this.
Any ideas why these are missing?

Errr.....

Did you download the files from microsoft? I mean you did download the express files, one for vb7, c++, web developer , etc... (all these are about 2.8 MB). If i'm correct then you have to launch the visual web developer so as to create a web site.

?

Why are you asking about iis, chiph? In vs2k5 there is no need for any iis installed.

Allow me to disagree.
This is one of the changes (good one) in Visual Web Developer at MSVS 8.0 (or 2005).

Forgot to mention that there is no "project" any more. You just "open" a web site. It can be remote, local, from iis, etc

Have you install Visual Studio Team System 2005 instead of the Normal Developer version?

I ordered the DVD from MS and found that I had one disk for Team System and one for the Normal VS 2005, this is the one for standalone development and will most likley one the tutorial is talking about,

Thanx!

Dave Shaw
Nothing is Impossible, it is just something I haven't got round to doing. - Me
History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

I ordered the disc from MS, there are two discs one called Visual Studio Team Suite and the other is Visual Studio Foundation Server. I have installed everything from the first disc and the client option from the second.

I am presuming the express versions are something seperate as it says that all of the components are installed, VB, C#, C++ Web Developer etc.

IIS is installed, version 5.1.

viper, what is the title of your Normal VS 2005 disc?

This has still not been resolved, any other ideas on what the problem could be?

Hooray, I have found the answer.

To anyone else with the same problem I figured it out, all I needed to do was change the settings through Tools > Import and Export settings. I then selected "Web Development settings" and now everything is visible through the File menu and on the toolbars. Not sure what they were set to by default but I am so glad that is sorted.

hey stinkybee,

what was the price for the 2 disks that you ordered you microsoft?

TipGiver -
The beta is no longer available (it was free). Even if you could find it on one of the file-sharing networks, you'd be in violation of the license if you were to use it past this week -- it's tied to when the RTM (release to manufacturing) version comes out, so you can't use it past that time. In any case, the beta will time-out sometime early next year (March, I think), so there's no point in writing code using it.

MSDN subscribers have been able to download VS.NET 2005 (it's ~3 gb) since last, umm, Thursday I think. Note that you have to uninstall the beta prior to installing the RTM version.

If you want to learn the product, you can download the Express edition for free:

Chip H.

if you had the beta 1 and uninstalled it, you will have trouble installing either the beta 2 or the release version. It took me 2 days and a lot of patience to get it working (the release version never bothered with beta2.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back