Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual SourceSafe and Configuration Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdurrer

Programmer
Feb 15, 2002
US
Hello -

First, let me say that while I have an extensive database and software development background, I'm very new to using Cognos products.

We're in the process of development our first data warehouse, and are using Cognos Impromptu, Powerplay (Enterprise Server). Upfront will be used to deploy most reports and cubes. We're not in production yet, and are using Series 6, though will likely move to Series 7 very soon.

In my previous life we had a very nice configuration management process which not only performed version control, but also provided robust procedures for moving releases from the developement area to testing, and ultimately into production. We're planning to use MS VSS for version control, but I'm really quite in the dark as to the best way of integrating VSS into Cognos, and also how to approach the controlled movement of Cognos files from develeopment to production.

Are there any resources that address this?

Thanks,
Preston

Se each report is an independent piece of code and doesnt have dependence on anything else except the catalog and accessories like prompt files. Sometimes it has back reports too which run and are stored as hot file.

What you can do is in VSS, have a work area and release area. In the work area have folders 1.Catalogs, 2.Reports and Unit Test . All the report add-ons you need to keep along with the reports itself else the mappings are screwed when you check out the reports.

When you do Unit testing do get latest and check out the Test plans for that report. Test it and check in the test plans. The developer will then modify the report and again check in and the ccycle is repeated.

After testing is done, you can move the reports in the release area.

Thats the main thing. I dont think you should have problem identifying the areas where to place the desing docs and project management related docs(Keep it in work area)

Shek

Preston,

I strongly urge you to enter production with Series 7 instead of migrating a v6 environment to 7. I am struggling with this right now.

Series 7 has a configuration manager feature that will help you control the configuration of the server products (PPES, IWR, Upfront). You can also save configuration files out for source control.

As for controlling report and cube versions, Shek pretty much summed that up.

HTH,

Justin

Thanks for the input, Guys. Fortunately, the decision to use Series 7 has now been made, and we're in the process of installing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back