Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Source Safe & Internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalberti

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
IT
Does anyone know if Visual Source Safe can be set up using the internet for remote users, without using any other product?

well i'm building my own webapplication now, and its possible to login on my network and use the VSS database on my server pc.
But I didn't try if the clients from outside my network are allowed to use it too.

It's hard to do, but i think there must be a way to do it via internet..

is you are running a client script..and you give it your username and password you must be able to login i guess.

but i'm not 100% sure..

I hope you can use my opinion.

Frank

well i was looking further on the internet and in a newsgroup i saw this post:
//=======================================================
"Eric" :

We are a few developers trying to work on a common project from remote locations.
We would like to share our code in a common place.
Is there a way to use VSS (or equivalent software) across the internet?
I understand VSS (as in Visual Studio 6) requires access to a common "Drive" (shared). Can this be done accross the internet?

Any idea welcome.

Thanks

---

ANSWER:

1. SourceOffSite (SOS) - 2. VPN.

Of the two, I prefer #2 because it is more flexible and I don't buy most of
SOS's performance claims (yes, I've benchmarked it), but if you don't want
to do VPN, SOS is your next best bet.

-- Bill
//======================================================

I really don't know what those terms mean, but I hope its also an answer on your question.

Frank

I have used VPN, SourceOffSite, and a terminal Services client. To me, VPN was the slowest. terminal Services only gets the file to the server PC, you then still have to transfer it to you remote pc. SourceOffSite (SOS) works great. It is fairly fast (faster than the other methods) and has some features that are really nice. Some that aren't as easy to get to in VSS directly.

SOS is my recomendation.

Brian

How do you configure VSS over VPN? I can check out files okay but I am not able to save my Interdev files or check in files. Does anyknow why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back