Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Interdev and Virtual Directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBaeck

Programmer
Jul 4, 2000
US
Hi,<br><br>I have virtual directories under my root website and the Frontpage server extensions are installed for the virtual directories as well. I can at any time remotely use Frontpage 2000 to work on any of the websites (root, or virtual directory).<br>When I connect via Visual Interdev 6.0, I can only get to the Root Web. When I check the radio button: &quot;Connect to an existing application on &quot;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> The dropdown list in the connection wizard does not offer me any other application other than the root web.<br><br>Any ideas?<br>Thanks

I don't know if this helps, but this is a short blurb from the MKB:<br><br>Q: Is it possible to create a Web project in a different folder on the Web server other than in the root location? For example, I want to place it in some tree other than \Inetpub\ The only way to make this possible is to create a second Virtual Machine in IIS. For more information, see the Microsoft Internet Server documentation by clicking the Windows Start menu, selecting Programs, Microsoft Internet Server, and Product Documentation, and then clicking Chapter 6, &quot;Planning Your Content Directories and Virtual Servers.&quot;<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> issue is with VID ability to support nested child webs as described in MKB:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> addition, I believe VID uses FrontPage 98 extensions.&nbsp;&nbsp;FP98: Server Extensions Do Not Support Nested Virtual Roots as described in MKB:<br><br>Web servers can work with different virtual server directory structures than the FrontPage Server Extensions require. Virtual server directories should not be configured under the root directory for another server. The following configurations will not work with the FrontPage Server Extensions because they contain nested directories for the virtual servers: <br><br>Server Running on Windows NT<br><br>Root Web c:\inetsrv\ Server 1 c:\inetsrv\ Server 2 c:\inetsrv\ <br>Server Running on UNIX<br>Root Web /usr/local/ Server 1 /usr/local/ Server 2 /usr/local/ <br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>Hella<br><a href=mailto:webmaster@vision21enterprises.com>webmaster@vision21enterprises.com</a><br><a href= Enterprises</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back