Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Interdev & Netscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

saw15

Technical User
Jan 24, 2001
US
I am tryin to run Netscape v7.1 on my local site for debugging issues. When using Netscape, I must go into ISM and remove Integrated Windows Authentication and enable anonymous access just to log in.

This is the only way I can get into site after hitting ctrl-f5 to open site from VI in Netscape (I have setup Netscape as default). When I try to start VI in debug mode, it always opens in IE, never Netscape. In addition, when I have to make the security modifications, it won't open at all telling me there is no security enabled.

Any thoughts, comments on getting Netscape to work with VI is appreciated.

And I have setup proxies etc.

Thanks in advance.

i dont think VI will do that (as netscape and microsoft are not the best of firends)... ;)

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

It takes a lot of effort to bind a debugger interface into any product. VI only knows about Internet Explorer for debugging (ie. for stepping thru code and viewing the values of variables etc.)

Windows authentication is only supported by some browsers - infact only IE, I think. This is because the other browsers work with other OS's like Linux - so to add a bespoke and windows-only feature is not often done. The only authentication that works across the board is 'Basic'. This pops up a dialog box in the browser, as you probably know - and you will need to add code to your site to authenticate the user id/password as entered.

Netscape 7.1 has its own debugger which is quite good - so you don't need VI for client-side debugging, I think. Try debugging in VI with IE. Once happy, THEN debug outside VI in Netscape and other browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back