Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual dBase and problem with memory over 512MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

osgen

Programmer
Sep 2, 2007
This was originally sent by a certain Visual Dbase 7 programmer through Mombu Internet Forum seeking help for a solution way back 2004 but with no avail.

Another programmer wrote to Ken Mayer. But Mr. Mayer just told him to stop using Visual Dbase 7 because it is 'very buggy and crash-prone'. He advised him to upgrade to another version. No other solution was given then. In short, He doesn't know anything about visual dbase 7 patches.

The programmer's message was :

" I am experiencing a problem when I try to run Visual dBase 7 in a PC which has over 512MB memory (e.g. 1GB). It causes an error and the Visual dBase window doesn't even start. The PC has Windows XP running. I don't know if it has something to do with Windows XP, because in the
past I have installed successfully Visual dBase in PCs with Windows XP (but with memory less than 512MB). Is there something I must declare in the VDB.INI file in order to solve the problem?"

I wrote you because I am experiencing the same problem too and I'm sure thousands of programmers like me are waiting for an answer to this problem.

Allow me to talk about my own scenario:
You see, Visual Dbase 7 will be installed to a 1 GB 2.66gh Core2 CPU Server. Everything has already been set. All Database Files will be monitored by our newly hired Database Adminstrator. We have to make everything work as expected. But without the Visual Dbase 7 running, the whole System could be jeopardized. Five years have already passed and I'm sure a program patch to make Visual Dbase 7 run on a CPU with memory greater than 512MB has already been resolved. Am I right?

I also found that vdb7 would'nt run after I upgraded my RAM to 1.25 GB.

So this morning I tried running it with another memory-hungry package (Sibelius) already open it got over the problem. After I closed Sibelius, the Borland package wouldn't open. I tried this several times with and without Sibelius and the results were consistent.

I realise this isn't the ideal solution for everyone, especially if one is developing a system for someone else, but it seems to have got over the problem for me. (I write and run my own programs.)

JH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back