Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual C++ in Windows NT (error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefee

Programmer
Aug 25, 2000
US
I’ve been programming a program, in visual c++, on windows 98 with ease. I decided to try it on windows 95, it still ran with ease. I had to put it on a windows NT system and it doesn’t run properly. The program runs but I don’t get the proper results. When I run the program through debug mode or just design mode I get an error that says something wrong with my (winhand.cpp line 127). I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. This is a file in the MFC (I think), it is not one of mine. If anyone has any idea why my program isn’t running the same on windows NT as it does on windows 95 and 98 please let me know, or pointing me in the right direction will work as well.

p.s.
I'm trying to carry a string of numbers from one module to the next and then have the program read them and let the user view certain things according to their string. This is what is not working properly. It ignores my string completely and displays everything.

Thanks in advance
:) stefee

Hint:Analyze the function that you are using and verify in the help if there is any exeption for windows NT.
Remember that NT works in some diferen ways and it´s very normal when does situations happen.
It will be helpful to see the line error where the fault happens.

Hi
When your application crashes ( in debug mode), You need to open the 'Call Stack' window. Then move backwards up to the first function of your own.
Interpret the bug using value tip at mouse pointer or using the Shift F9 function
Often this is an assert so you'll know directly what's happening.

Thierry
Thierry.Marneffe@swing.be

Thank you both for ur quick response. I will try this stuff now to see what happens. Thanks again.

:) stefee

Hi,

Your problem may be with the operating system not your program... or both. Looking at winhand.cpp it seems to be thread handling code. Win 98 and NT handle memory sharing differently and there for data sharing between thread differently. You say you're passing data from one module to the next this may be the problem seeing each module is a thread.

Try using AfxBeginThread instead of the old _beginthread if that's what you're doing. There is a book called Windows advance programming that explain how to put your app in certain areas of memory, etc. that could help you.

I have no other suggestions except to say design on NT when ever you can.

Brother C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back